How can I stop drag-and-drop images taking over the whole visible area?

I expect a lot of you have had this experience: You’re part of a group session where people are being encouraged to add images. A common scenario is that we are being asked to add an image of ourselves to a little bio, so that people who have only just met can easily identify one another…

But when you drag and drop your image into Miro, it is GIGANTIC and suddenly, not only is everyone staring up your left nostril and admiring that spot under your eye, you’ve completely covered all other content on the board.

Then there’s that awkward scramble to zoom out far enough that you can grab the edges of the image and resize it down to a sensible size.

It’s a uniquely uncomfortable experience and is especially awkward when (as it inevitably is) it’s with a bunch of people you’ve only just met.

Weirdly when I Googled and when I searched this forum, I couldn’t find anyone ese talking about this, but I’ve been in sessions where it’s happened to other people, so I know I’m not the only one.

Is there a way of avoiding this? For instance if I could insert / import an image into a rectangle whose size I’ve already set? I can’t find a way of doing this - it seems like the only way to add an image is via drag and drop.

I’d love to find out how to avoid this unique kind of embarrassment. I’m in Chrome on Windows 10.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Clare Sudbery -

Rather than using drag-and-drop, you can have preset image “spots” on the board where there are “dummy” images the size you want them to be. Then, each participant can click on one of those and use the “replace image” function to upload a new image. As far as I’ve seen with my testing, that will constrain the uploaded image to the scale of the previous one.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Clare Sudbery I was going to make the exact same suggestion as @Kiron Bondale! 😄 What you can do is prepare some "profile cards" on your board in advance. Here's some more info from Help Center about replacing images:

Replace images

Any image on the board can be replaced without affecting other objects on the canvas. To update an image, take the following steps:

1. Select the image you want to change, click Replace image and choose the source of a new image. If you choose Replace from board, you will be suggested to pick another image on the board. You can also Upload from device or Upload via URL.

replace_image.jpg

2. Once the source is chosen, find the required image and select it.

3. The new image will replace the initial one.

These are both great ideas, thank you… but I think they will only work if the organiser has set this up in advance.

So there’s nothing I can do as a participant, if I’m in a session where we’re being asked to add images and nobody has set anything like this up?

I guess maybe I could zoom out and go to some far corner of the board where nobody else is… then drag my image over, then resize it, then move it to where I want it to be.

Edit: Actually I suppose I could do what you suggest as a participant, if I keep a small image handy that I know is only a few pixels wide, and start by dragging that over - then use the Replace Image suggestion on that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Clare Sudbery Yes exactly, as a participant you can either drag and drop a “placeholder image” to the board and then replace it, or you can prepare something on another board in advance and then just copypaste it the board where you're asked to add an image of yourself. With the second alternative, you can also have name and other information prepared upfront.