Freezing Columns or Rows in a Table

Userlevel 1

Kia ora!  Is there a quick way that I can freeze columns and rows in a table, so that I can still see the first three column headings and top row (for example), but can scan across to other sections of the table?

So in the attached pic, I’d like to freeze the columns in pink, and scroll across to the blue or green sections in the table.

If anyone could please help with this query, or a better way of troubleshooting what I’m asking for, I’d be really grateful.

Thanks!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Hinerau Anderson -

Unfortunately, as Miro tables don’t have scroll bars (the entire board shifts to show cells which are out of view when you move to see them), the concept of “freezing” rows or columns like you could do in MS Excel or other spreadsheet applications doesn’t really work. Even if you were to copy the rows you wanted to freeze into a separate table and place it right above the one with the data, it would scroll out of view as soon as you moved down enough rows.

There are already a whole slew of enhancement suggestions for Miro tables, but feel free to review the wish list guidelines here and add a new one for this capability: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Thanks for hitting back Kiron.  Appreciate it.  Will consider what options I could include to enable it to be a bit more user friendly for me.  Cheers

Hi @Kiron Bondale 

I’m also looking to create a spreadsheet with the first row freeze.
Is it possible to use the same visual system as for cursors collaborators ?

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Thomas Keslacy -

Unfortunately I don’t know of any way to do this in Miro as there is no split-screen capability (like in Excel) or any way to prevent the whole board from scrolling when you scroll down.

Kiron

Thanks for your reactivity @Kiron Bondale 

What I find great with the system of cursors collaborators is that we can know and have a visual on the person’s name and direction. So I wanted to know if doing the system on bubbles or rows, it would be possible with a pin option for example? Thanks again

@Hinerau Anderson -

Unfortunately, as Miro tables don’t have scroll bars (the entire board shifts to show cells which are out of view when you move to see them), the concept of “freezing” rows or columns like you could do in MS Excel or other spreadsheet applications doesn’t really work. Even if you were to copy the rows you wanted to freeze into a separate table and place it right above the one with the data, it would scroll out of view as soon as you moved down enough rows.

There are already a whole slew of enhancement suggestions for Miro tables, but feel free to review the wish list guidelines here and add a new one for this capability: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron

This doesn’t make sense.  The Kanban Framework template in Miro does it so I don’t see why the functionality couldn’t be built for tables as well.

@BradMc  Thank you for pointing out that a similar feature exists with the Kanban template. With much finicking, I was able to create a Kanban board & put it behind my table. So far this looks like it’s going to work great with my roadmap so I can see the timeline as I scroll down. 

@Katie Sanderson How did you do that? I’d love to implement something similar on a board I am building out. 

@Ben Wollman  It took some finagling. What you are looking at is a table (I used the roadmap miro template) that is sitting on top of a kanban board. It look a lot of resizing the columns on both boards to get things to line up like I wanted. If you zoom in you’ll notice that the kanban board displays the number of tickets in each lane. I had to stack 15 empty cards in the first column to get the kanban board as long as my roadmap table. Hope this helps!

@BradMc  Thank you for pointing out that a similar feature exists with the Kanban template. With much finicking, I was able to create a Kanban board & put it behind my table. So far this looks like it’s going to work great with my roadmap so I can see the timeline as I scroll down. 

Hey Katie, I am facing the same issue as yours. Could you please let me know how did you do this workaround? I can’t find a template similar to the one displayed above. 
Thank you in advance!

@Jad Alsalim see my comment above here

We are using Miro for Journey Mapping and use tables with lots of columns and rows. We absolutely need to freeze column and row headers. Every session I’m in, teams are losing track of where they are in the matrix.  Please just add the scroll and free panes option ASAP.  This feature matters more to us than just about anything else.