Answered

Frames and frames and frames and objects

• 23 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can anyone tell me how to

1. put a smaller frame on top of a larger frame and and have the smaller frame (with its content) “lock or link” to the larger frame - so that when i move the larger frame the smaller one and all the content move to?
  2. place frames ontop of a large SHAPE - i want the shape to form the backgroud area on a board, so that it stands out on the board.  And i want all the content and frames of that are to lay ontop of the object. Right now all the frames go behind the object and i can’t figure out a way to bring them forward

Any guidance, hacks or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 23 June 2021, 21:13

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tricia Conyers 

Frames don’t stick to Frames like other objects (sticky notes, shapes, etc.) stick to Frames.

Form the Frames Help Center article:

Frames act like pages that group objects together. All the content inside the frame moves and is copied together with the frame. You can change the frame color, ratio, and name. 

The only way I know to make Frames stick together is by Grouping them. However, keep in mind that you would like run into other, unexpected behaviours if you grouped frames, e.g., they would ungroup when placed over a table or Kanban.

As for Frames over Shapes, while Frames do not have the option to bring to foreground or background, one would think you’d be able to send a shape to the background and have the frame appear over the shape. I tried a test and while the objects in the frame appear over the shape, the frame’s fill colour is hidden behind the shape:

Is this the behaviour you are referring to?

Userlevel 1
Badge

YUP! Thats the behavior I am referring to…

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tricia Conyers - I am 99.99% sure this is the way it has always been, i.e., frame fills colours appear behind shapes. However, for a definitive answer, I would suggest asking Miro support - you can find a link to the Miro support form on this page, in the “atypical issues” row of the “how you can get support” table.

There are a few suggestions I can leave you with…

Images in Frames - If you use a solid image as a background of your frame, that will continue to appear on top of any shape that you move frame over. You could create a rectangle shape of any colour, take a screenshots of that shape, add it to the board, right-click on the shape and select “Create frame”, which will automatically put a frame around the image, and then group them, so the image stays/and resizes with the frame.

Shape inside a Frame - You could put a solid coloured shape in a frame and group them - here’s an example:

Wish List Idea Post

You could post in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know, requesting that Frame’s fill colour show on top of other objects.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Userlevel 1
Badge

GREAT HACKS! THANK YOU!

Hello

Help me please 

How can I fix 2 small frames in 1 big frame? I want to move 1 big frame so that 2 small frames move with it

https://skr.sh/vFx2oDDFYjY