Feedback: Image Filename Missing from context bar after update

Userlevel 2
Badge

After the recent Miro update to adding Alt Tags to images, the images no longer display their filenames. We use miro often to work with many images and use the filenames for search/reference in other apps and documentation.

Is there an option somewhere to display the filename or was this feature removed? 

Kristin 9 months ago

Hi all, thank you all again for the feedback on the importance of image filenames. 

As Robert mentioned, we’ve rolled back the alt-text update, so you should be seeing file names as part of the top menu again — this also means that Alt-text is no longer available for images. We’re working hard to bring Alt-text back again, so stay tuned.  

Hopefully, I haven’t missed too many people, cc: @Pato Man@Steph B.@Robert Johnson@Vinigor@Matthew Whiting@Tien@Elise O'Connell@Vallahalla@Chanel Rosales@Lejaun@Martine Sticha@JBCAD@Fanny Chow@Sara Morales@Megan Skibiel@Amber Jostmeyer@Goran Djokic@jenny carlin@Melinda Mann@Yvonne Kostiak, and @RL-Design.

View original

33 replies

Badge

@Vallahalla we are all asking for same the functionality you wrote about to be put back. We all need the single click to see file name. Adding you to this chain! 

Thank you for adding me! I see the community is definitely reiterating what I’m experiencing too. 

To Miro designers, There certainly seems to be plenty of real estate on that floating bar that appears when an image is selected using the V selection tool. Can the filename preview be added to that pop up too? Added *back* I should say?

Keep innovating and thanks for listening. I’m enjoying Miro so far.

Userlevel 3
Badge

hi @Robert Johnson this still requires several clicks when we used to click once. in order to move through a presentation we will need to click back and forth from the hand and arrow multiple times…. 

when i follow the steps you show above i still need to click on ALT first..and then i’ll need to switch back to the arrow. 

Can we please have the single click back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

hi @Robert Johnson this still requires several clicks when we used to click once. in order to move through a presentation we will need to click back and forth from the hand and arrow multiple times…. 

when i follow the steps you show above i still need to click on ALT first..and then i’ll need to switch back to the arrow. 

Can we please have the single click back?

@Steph B.

The steps are just a workaround. If you press V on your keyboard (toggles between select/pan), the you still only have to “click/tap” once. Assumptions: You are using a keyboard, have two hands, and one had is close to your keyboard with the other being on a mouse. With those conditions in place, as a workaround until Miro makes another change or reverts back, I find it to be pretty quick.

Here it is in action:

1. I start in select mode
  2. While in a presentation, I press the V key to switch to pan mode
  3. I select the image to see the filename
  4. I press the V key to go back to select mode.

Screenshot of my board:

GIF of it in action:

AGREED - we need the filenames to do our work!!! 

Badge

@Robert Johnson I appreciate the help and the thorough explanation of the workaround. 

Today I found that some of my images are grouped and when in a group, I cannot apply the workaround.

Using V to click into the group of images and then switching to the hand tool, pops me back out of the group and so cannot select the image in question and reveal it’s filename. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson I appreciate the help and the thorough explanation of the workaround. 

Today I found that some of my images are grouped and when in a group, I cannot apply the workaround.

Using V to click into the group of images and then switching to the hand tool, pops me back out of the group and so cannot select the image in question and reveal it’s filename. 

Ahhh, yes, that would trick up the workaround. I just tested, and even thought you can double-click a grouped object to individually select (and even move it while it’s still grouped), when you press the V key to go to pan mode and then click/select the group, you may only see the filename of the “highest” level image, e.g., I always only see dog.jpg as it is higher than/over cat.jpg:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It looks like Miro made a change as I am seeing the filename again in the context bar and no ALT option:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi all, thank you all again for the feedback on the importance of image filenames. 

As Robert mentioned, we’ve rolled back the alt-text update, so you should be seeing file names as part of the top menu again — this also means that Alt-text is no longer available for images. We’re working hard to bring Alt-text back again, so stay tuned.  

Hopefully, I haven’t missed too many people, cc: @Pato Man@Steph B.@Robert Johnson@Vinigor@Matthew Whiting@Tien@Elise O'Connell@Vallahalla@Chanel Rosales@Lejaun@Martine Sticha@JBCAD@Fanny Chow@Sara Morales@Megan Skibiel@Amber Jostmeyer@Goran Djokic@jenny carlin@Melinda Mann@Yvonne Kostiak, and @RL-Design.