Export Excel organization chart into Miro

• 2 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello Community,

HR is doing their organizational chart in Excel & they would like to display it in Miro now, since excel does not look as good.
They would like for Miro, that it automatically creates an organizational chart out of the Excel sheet.

It sounds impossible to me, but I thought I might ask here beforehand.

I have read several articles about displaying OneDrive in Miro or somehow getting Live Data in Miro, but that is not what we are looking for.

Is there any other solution to this?

Thank you in advance!
-Vanessa

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@vanessathompson - How many people are in this org chart? 50? 1000+?

Are they expecting to only maintain the org chart in Excel and have any changes automatically update on the Miro board?

Hey @Robert Johnson 

the org has about 250-350 people in there, yes they were looking for a way that it either updates itself all the time or they would want to export the data from excel every 2-3 months again into Miro so it is up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@vanessathompson - Thanks for the info. Seeing as someone is okay with the manual export process from time to time, let’s focus first on how this could be accomplished manually.

I am just heading out to take our 14-month old for his first tobogganing, so I’ll share a few things that I tried for starers.

From this page: https://www.exceldemy.com/save-excel-table-as-image-high-resolution/, I tried to export in a few formats - here are the results:

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVP1osdNc=/

Note: I went into the Excel menu and View and turned off gridlines.

I’ll be back! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have more questions…

Do you know why it is being built specifically in Excel? Is it done manually in Excel or perhaps exported from an another system, e.g., an HR platform? Is the Excel data shared elsewhere or is in in Excel just for the ease of being built?

Can you share a small snippet of the org chart in Excel, or course will sensitive information blurred out.

I ask because, if the only reason it is in Excel is for the purpose of being displayed elsewhere, and someone has already manually created the Excel spreadsheet, then perhaps you would just want to create the org chart in Miro instead, e.g., as a mind map or even using sticky notes or cards. Once in Miro, it could also be exported as an image or PDF in high quality for display on another platform, e.g., an intranet site.

Quick tip: You can paste Excel cells into Miro as sticky notes. From there, you can use the switch type feature to turn the sticky notes into Cards (or other objects… just not mind map nodes).

Also, you can export the mind map data from Miro as a CSV using the Mindmap Downloadeder app. However, I’m not sure what could be gained by this if you already have the org chart in an Excel format.

Without knowing the structure of the source data, another option could be using some other “org chart” software which offers high quality image exports (for placing on a Miro board). I would also ask if anyone has checked with the HR system vendor to see if there are other options.

More questions than answers, but I think seeing your starting point may help provide a potential solution.

@robert

if i want to create the org chart in Miro as a 1 time exercise from a google sheet and then maintain in Miro, how do I do that?

We have over 700 employees so hand entering is not a great option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@robert

if i want to create the org chart in Miro as a 1 time exercise from a google sheet and then maintain in Miro, how do I do that?

We have over 700 employees so hand entering is not a great option.

You can paste spreadsheet cells into Miro as Sticky Notes – more on this option here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572054#h_01EWMZSA3X52YSY1M4GFXVN5PA

ok thats not ideal - what if i create an org chart in Lucid and migrate it to Miro?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

ok thats not ideal - what if i create an org chart in Lucid and migrate it to Miro?

That may work – give it a try 😀

I’m not sure of the diagram import feature’s availability, but it should be on Consultant/Business and Enterprise Plans (maybe Education Plan too).

or from your dashboard: