Answered

Easy way for PDF save of giant, detailed doc?

• 31 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I’d like to periodically create a PDF backup of my Miro work but it would take many (MANY!!) frame captures of my massive project for every single time I want to do a quick backup; even a few frame shots wouldn’t capture the material legibly with zooming-in.
Yes, I know that there is the Miro online backup, but I worry that this requires the Miro app and access, and I would feel better with this important document of mine if I could have an emergency access in PDF or something available to me at any time.

So, I have two questions:
1. Can the Miro backup be accessed on its own somehow?
2. Is there a quick way to do a capture-all PDF even if it grouped it into several PDFs but through one (or a few) easy gestures?
Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 1 January 2021, 05:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Drew Quiring - Individual frames on a board can be exported as images (or PDF if on a paid plan), but in case you didn’t know, you can export an entire board as a PDF and it will make each frame its own page in the PDF. In this example I have 6 frames and when I use the export this board → Save as PDF I end up with a six page PDF:

More on this in the Board Export Help Centre article → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572754-Board-Export#h_1feb9f36-ada2-4306-a03c-93deb1285044

As for an external .rtb file/Miro board viewer, I have never heard of this and suspect this will not be possible as there is currently no offline version of Miro. The .rtb file is a ‘container’ of all information about the board. It consists of a number of files .json files that make up information about the board (shapes, stickies, etc. and their location on the board) as well as any other files that are contained in the board, e.g., I added a .xlsx a .pdf document and a .jpg of a cat to the board and they are a part of the .rtb file, e.g., here’s the board:

And here’s the contents of the .rtb file:

Because the .json files contain information about the Miro board, only Miro applications/code will be able to display the board from a .rrb file, unless someone builds their own .rtb file viewer, which I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to do.

Your best bet would probably be to export the whole board as a PDF.

Userlevel 1

Thank you, always super helpful!

Userlevel 1

Robert,

I don’t think I have any frames set up in my document yet to do the PDF export. (My document is just one giant mindmap web thingy).  It would probably take a bazillion gestures for me to make I have-no-idea-how-many legible frames to capture the whole thing. Is there an easy way to have Miro divide my massive project into divided, legible frames that are accessible for a PDF export?
Many thanks!
-Drew Q. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Drew Quiring If you don’t have any frames on your board and click the export icon (top-left of board, to the right of the board name) and then Save as PDF, Miro will prompt you to create a frame. You can create as big of a frame as you’d like. Just zoom out so that you can see your entire mind map, press the F key on your keyboard, and then click-and-drag a frame around the mind map.

Userlevel 1

Ok, maybe I am misunderstanding. I see that I can create one giant frame and save as a PDF, but it is so illegible at the full zoom-out level, and the PDF is even less clear and unable to zoom in for more clarity.

I suspect that I would have to create many, many, many frames at a legible zoom level, and I’m just wondering if there’s a way that Miro will do that for me. My apologies if I didn’t properly understand, especially if you already articulated this to my ignorance.

(It’s not as much about being lazy as trying to be efficient if there’s an easier way so I don’t waste time or energy on this and possibly make it more complicated.)
Thanks!
Here’s my colossal mindmap I am referring to: