Delayed writing on board

• 11 September 2020
  • 13 replies

While using the Miro board to deliver an online lecture, the board starts off great and about half way through class it slows down to the point I can’t even write on it anymore. My boards are not huge, they have a few images but no widgets, and they are not shared. I only post the boards after class thinking that having all the student viewing it was slowing down the board. I have been using the Miro app with my surface pro. Any idea? Suggestions? 

The problem has gotten so bad that I think I will have to not use them in class anymore and find another solution. 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

How many concurrent students accessing the board at one time? Can you try from a different device to see if that makes any difference?

This Help Center article provides some useful tips on improving general board performance: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013588560-Tips-to-Improve-Board-Performance

Kiron

Zero students. I use it through screen sharing. Originally I would have up to 24 in view only but thought that was the problem. My surface pro is the only device touch screen device I have to write with. Yes I read those tips but my boards don’t see that big when the limit is 100, 000 widgets. I have anywhere from 3-5 images and just writing on them as we work problems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

Are you screen sharing with Miro or using a third-party solution? 

Kiron

I am using Microsoft teams for my class meeting and sharing my screen that has the Miro board from the Miro app. Is there a better way? The thing is it always starts out great for the first half of class, but bogs down about half way through. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

Can you try running through the Miro activities for the class without the sharing just to see if it is related to the Miro screen sharing via Teams?

Kiron

Is there an easy way to do that? Does Miro have video conferencing software built in? I need a way for them to see and hear me in real time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

If the students are added as view-only users to the board, you can use Miro’s share screen mode along with its video chat capabilities which work for up to 25 users. However, what I was suggesting was to just try to go through your full class by yourself in Miro to see if you experience the same type of slowing down behavior to isolate the problem to being the interaction with MS Teams.

Kiron

Userlevel 4

Since Kiron’s suggestions are a heuristic to isolate what part of the code base and tech-stack are causing the issue some further diagnostics would include posting (DM?) a writable link here (or to 1 | 2 of your students?) so others can try drawing and report their experiences

That would take everything except the board’s encoding, the miro server protocols and the app / browser code out of the equation  (I assume the host runs on aws or azure or similar -  geographically localised)

I’ve hosted sessions by screen share with maybe 1,200 items on the board and a couple quiet dense drawings created by access via a microsoft surface and had no issues - the surface i have is te least powerful and it does slightly struggle but its usable

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I will chime in here to say that even though I have a business class laptop and a wired 80 Mbps Internet connection, when I am connected to the corporate network and someone shares their screen in my team's 8-person Microsoft Teams meeting, all applications/Windows can often become frustratingly sluggish. One the screen sharing is over, there is an immediate and noticable improvement in performance. We also use Webex on a regular basis and do not experience the same performance drop as we do with MS Teams. 

@Kiron Bondale I tried running through a 40 minute lecture without screen sharing but I did record the screen with Camtasia and around the 30 minute mark the board started to slow down until it is almost impossible to write on anymore. I don’t know what the issue is. Suggestions? Otherwise I’m gonna have to find another online whiteboard for my virtual class. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

Based on your original message it looks like you are using the Miro desktop app on your Surface tablet - could you try using Miro via a web browser instead to see if the performance is any better? 

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale I tried that during my last class and got the same issue. It slows down about 30 minutes in

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea Giordano -

Have you updated to the new Miro app (released yesterday) as it is supposed to utilize less memory which might be contributing to this issue?

Kiron