Skip to main content
Question

Cropping an image

• 3 July 2024
  • 7 replies

I would like to put an image inside a shape for a user persona (like the circle example on the left) I cannot find anywhere how to do it. I know it can be done as I have seen examples everywhere. Can anyone help?

7 replies

Userlevel 2

Insert image then click the Crop Icon (which for whatever reason I can’t screenshot right now… odd) and select Circle. 

That should do the job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Terry Calderbank - Miro calls this “masking” and you can see a demo of it in the following help center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018109574-Work-smarter-not-harder#h_01HB8NSSFQEX9Z7VPREGGCM955

You can crop images in various shapes (e.g. a circle, square, etc.). Select the image, click the Crop icon in the context menu, and select a shape from the dropdown.

cropping_in_shapes.gif

Hi Robert/Gavin,

how do I crop it to a shape defined by me rather than from the standard options on the dropdown (see below)

Userlevel 2

Hi Robert/Gavin,

how do I crop it to a shape defined by me rather than from the standard options on the dropdown (see below)

I don’t think that’s possible. 

You could maybe do something similar by layering shapes together 🤔but as there is no masking mode (eg subtract or intersect) then you would probably be easier to use another tool to create the object and then bring that into Miro.

It would be quite cool if you could apply a shape as a mask. 

Thanks for the response. I tried layering shapes initially which led to my question but was unsuccessful. No worries I will just use one of the standard shape templates instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Terry Calderbank I’ve often wanted to use a rounded rectangle frame/mask too. Outside of Miro, you could search for “rounded rectangle image mask” or something about “inverted rounded rectangle frame” or Google online SVG creator and try to create a few variations yourself, e.g., a few different background colours.

Here’s it is in action (note: the yellow background was just there as a template for Instagram and is not required):

Userlevel 2

This is basically what I would as things stand.