Copying text from Miro and pasting into another application - without formatting

• 21 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Why is it that whenever I copy text in Miro and paste it into another application it always comes with a grey background that I can’t seem to remove? I often want to pull pieces of our notes out of a board and put them into another document, but the formatting always includes this grey background, and I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. 

Kyle.C 3 years ago

Something I do whenever I copy/paste any text is remove all formatting.

:apple: CMD+SHIFT+V

:frame_photo: CTRL+SHIFT+V

That hotkey will paste any text without formatting. Give that a try @Paul Jongeward and see if it works.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Jongeward, can you provide some additional detail on what application(s) you are copying into?

I was able to recreate your issue in Word, and could not use any obvious formatting to address the grey background of text I copied from Miro and pasted into Word. After a quick search, I learned that selecting your text in Word and hitting ctrl+spacebar (likely cmd+spacebar on mac) will reset character formatting, and this removed the grey background. 

The same issue doesn’t happen in PowerPoint or Excel, just Word so far as I can tell, but if you are experiencing it in other apps, please comment again and hopefully someone can find a solution for you.

Thanks!

Jon

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Something I do whenever I copy/paste any text is remove all formatting.

:apple: CMD+SHIFT+V

:frame_photo: CTRL+SHIFT+V

That hotkey will paste any text without formatting. Give that a try @Paul Jongeward and see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m a Mac user and often copy text out of Miro and paste it into non-MS Office applications such as Sketch, Keynote, and a simple Text Editor. I tried the CMD+SHIFT+V trick in Text Edit, and it did work to remove the formatting. However, in Keynote that hotkey is actually used for something else (inserting a file), and thus won’t work. So it’s a partial solution, and I thank you for that insight. 

I don’t see any reason for Miro to include a grey background in the text formatting by default, and I wish they’d change that. I see it as a bug, not a feature. What’s the best way to bring that to their attention and ask for a change? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Paul Jongeward -

As this is likely by design and not a support issue, I’d suggest adding it as a wish list item following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron