Copying text from a Comment Panel

• 21 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I am working on a complex book and a contributor has added – work captions via the Comments Bubble. 
Any work arounds welcome! I have hundred of amendments to make and not being able to simply copy this text is making collaboration difficult

Many thanks

Aa

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Andrew Ashton - I am kind of limited right now from my phone due to this cat on my lap, but one janky way that works is to open the board in Chrome mobile and force desktop mode from the ellipsis menu in chrome - when I do this, I can long-press on text in a comment and copy it. 

Another thing to try would be to search within the board for some text that is in a comment and see if you can copy the text in the search results window.

I also suspect that using the developers tools in Chrome could let you search for a string of text in a comment, letting you copy the text from the developers tools panel.

And then there's good ol' fashioned screenshots and text extraction using OCR. 

Oh, and search for any Chrome extensions related to "grabbing text".

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You could also try the left sidebar, Comments panel (thanks for the reminder, @Max Harper ):

Oddly enough, this does not work in chrome mobile in desktop mode (I cannot select text).

Hi Robert, 

The internets and community boards – so amazing

You are right in app you can not copy – in browser mode you can. Awesome suggestion

I am using a MAC Pro, and Web Browser is Chrome. Copied text is being directly dropped into Indesign CC. 

Have a great day! 

Aa