Classroom participation without saving changes

• 28 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I am trying to move an analog exercise into Miro. The goal is to have a classroom full of people look at 75 pictures and then sort them in to different categories. IRL, we do this on a table with printed pictures. Online, I’d like to:

1. Send each student a password protected invitation link. (I know how to do this)
  2. Each student should see the 75 images and then be able to move them into categories on Miro boards. (I know how to do this).
  3. I want each student to be able to save their own edited boards without it impacting the other class participants (ex: if I move 5 images into a category, I don’t want other students to see that movement). 
  4. And when the students exit, I would like to ensure it can go back to the original layout. 

I currently have a PDF solution with checkboxes (instead of of moving images around) that we use online. I’d like to make it more intuitive and fun. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@scott erickson - A few comments/observations:

I don’t want other students to see that movement

Each student will need to have their own board.

I want each student to be able to save their own edited boards without it impacting the other class participants

As long as (a) the student has a Miro account and (b) you have enabled the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access, they will be able to Duplicate the entire board to their Miro account (or select all of the board content and copy-and-paste it into another board).

And when the students exit, I would like to ensure it can go back to the original layout.

There is no way to “reset” a board.

Without knowing more about how you will be running the session (number of students, will you be wanting to observe them, etc.), I will suggest a strategy that would be less work on your part. You could:

1. Create a master board (with your 75 images) that is in “view only” mode.
  2. Direct your students to that board.
  3. Once on the board, have them click on the board title and then the Duplicate button (this requires that (a) the student has a Miro account and (b) you have enabled the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access)
  4. Now they will have a copy of the board in their Miro account and can edit the board..

NOTE: The about solution would mean that you would not be able to see the board, unless they turn on Anyone with the link → Can view and share the link with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@scott erickson - As for an example of how you could structure things, you would put the 75 images into one frame and then have your students drag images into other frames/categories:

They would later present their results using the Presentation Mode, which follows the order that the frames appear in the “frames pane”:

Or they could export the board as a PDF and each frame would be its own page in the PDF. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@scott erickson - if you go with the option of creating a board in view-only mode and having them duplication it to their own account, you can see what the experience would be like by

1. clicking this link to a board I created in view-only mode
  2. clicking the board title/name
  3. and then clicking the Duplicate button:

The board → https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_laW_Y88=/