Answered

Changing color of icons and adding shading to shapes and gradations to colors?

Userlevel 2

Hello, All!

I am a new Miro user and want to check on the availability of the following functions. Am I correct in finding that we:

• cannot change the colors, thickness, etc. of any icons?
  • cannot add shadows or shading to any shapes?
  • cannot add gradation within colors of any shapes?

If I am wrong, this would be great!

Thank you,

Jeannine

icon

Best answer by Max Harper 30 June 2020, 22:04

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jeannine -

1. Correct as these are essentially just bitmaps so other than re-sizing or cropping them, other changes would have to be made outside of Miro.
  2. Correct, but you could duplicate a shape, change the duplicate’s color and move it behind and offset under the original shape to create a shadow.
  3. Correct

Some good ideas here so you may wish to add them as wish list items following these guidelines: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Jeannine

Doing my best to answer here: 

• Which icons do you mean? 
    • If you mean ...
      • Google Images or Noun Project - no these come in as png or jpg or svg  -- no ability to change properties other than position, scale, rotation, crop
      • SVG uploaded -- no ability to change properties other than position, scale, rotation, crop
  • cannot add shadows or shading to any shapes?
    • You are correct: no shadow or shading yet.
    • Sticky notes have an inherent drop shadow to make them look realistic-ish
    • I’ve done whats in the image below for highlighting parts of the board: super hacky / not what you’re looking for.  
  • Cannot add gradation within colors of any shapes?
    • You are correct: no gradients yet.

hacky drop shadow.- a stack of partial opacity rounded squares

Userlevel 2

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

Userlevel 2

When all these functions will be implemented?

Hello from Switzerland.
Yes, it would be great if it's possible to change the colour of the icons with the Add Iconfinder.
This would make the design of the icons consistent on the board.

Throwing my weight behind this idea. I work for a large organisation and it would be good to add icons to my workshop and colour them so participants receive a consistent brand experience. 

When adding an icon using IconFinder I should be able to change the icon colour to match the rest of the experience I am creating. I understand these may just be png’s but being able to colour them would be a great simple addition. 

@Max Harper 

Max, “doing your best answer” as communiy leader would be (for the 1st topic question):

“No.”

;)

Which icons do you mean? 

• If you mean ...
    • Google Images or Noun Project - no these come in as png or jpg or svg  -- no ability to change properties other than position, scale, rotation, crop
    • SVG uploaded -- no ability to change properties other than position, scale, rotation, crop]
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BossConnect 

Thank you for the feedback. you’re right - it does seem like a simple “no” would work here.

Brevity IS a virtue. And, yet, so is clarity and inclusivity. I do often struggle with this balance here in the forum.  

For less brevity and more clarity…  ;)

I often try to error on the side of ‘too specific’ so I don’t make false assumptions about the meaning of what’s being asked and give the wrong impression of what is and isn’t possible in the app or with the API/SDK. Especially given that this forum strives to be a place that serves a community of people with many different first languages and who have varying backgrounds and vocabularies for things-- I feel it’s important to not make assumptions about ambiguous question meanings and give clear and unambiguous answers in order to be as welcoming and inclusive as possible. To that end, I try also to embed clarifying questions and their answers in one turn - as opposed to just return questions - which runs the risk of no answers ever arriving and a dead thread. 

Also, you’ll often see, like above, that the original question asker is really appreciative of “thoughtful answers”.  

yet - to your point - the best answer might just sometimes be: “nope, not possible yet” 
 Cheers :)

@Max Harper I believe this is possible and linked to some evidence from this post on a wish list idea for it: https://community.miro.com/ideas/set-color-on-icons-6370?postid=5956#post5956

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Nathan Lucy 

indeed it’s very technically possible. And would be relatively ‘easy’ for Miro to add it. But it’s still not “possible to accomplish as a current user yet. 

I wonder if MURAL has a contract w/ the Noun Project, since editing colors is a premium feature on NP’s website. Or maybe just an SLA.

The native Miro icon picker pales in comparison. Inserting bitmaps feels very dated compared to the rest of Miro’s design capabilities.

I’d argue this is a core feature, because these products are all about visual thinking, which includes using symbols beyond the normal alphanumeric ones. 

Emoji are helpful, and at least they’re vectors (or very high resolution raster, I don’t actually know), but you can’t edit their color.

The wireframe tool has a small set of icons whose color can be edited with the color palette, but it’s like 20 icons, so impractical.

I agree that the ability to color an icon is a basic feature in Mural and even Microsoft Powerpoint or Word; it is unfortunate that this is not a “basic” feature within Miro. I highly recommend Miro reconsider it’s icon library and its features.

Agreed. this would be really helpful! now I have to go into figma to make something to import back to Miro

Being able to change color to at least emojis is an important feature, as you would for instance like to indicate different statuses through icons.

These should be just SVG so changing their color should be relativly easy.