Board limits and sharing

• 25 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, I am a student on  Miro free plan.

Problem with my free plan.

1.  Board 1: My professor invited me to edit on her board and was granted access as editor.
  2. Board 2: In addition, from the same institution, I was granted access, as editor, to another board. .
  3. Board 3: I created my own board and have spent days and days creating persona, information architecture, and invited a ideation team to join. It was created (some how) under the name of the same institution (which l thought was my own personal board as owner). 
  4. I wanted to create another personal board, but was informed l had reached my limit of 3 boards..
  5. Trying to delete board 1 and 2, l was informed that all my 3 boards will be deleted. I only wanted to delete from my institution and (not my own board).

I cannot create a 4th board to copy my personal board (board 3) so as to delete board 1 and 2.  l cannot delete boards 1 and 2 without deleting all my work in board 3 (my personal board under the name of the institution). 
  6. It’s impossible to transfer, my person board, over to another location as l have used my board limit.

In other words, l cannot delete 2 of my 3 boards without deleting them all but need one to remain. 

Is there a work around this problem because l don’t want to loose all the work l have done in my personal board?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mar Goldingay - I will throw in my two-cents here, but I probably have move questions at this point than I do answers.

First, thank you for sharing a few screenshots - these help.

From looking at your screenshots, you have three boards in a team called Hec Team:

1. Idax Workshop - owned by you
  2. Design UX - owned by Sophie
  3. MOOC 3 - owned by annemarie

You will not be able to delete board’s 2 & 3 because you are not the board owner.

Is this “Hec Team” the only team you see when you are logged into your Miro account? For example, my Miro account profile is a member of ten teams:

Trying to delete board 1 and 2, l was informed that all my 3 boards will be deleted.

Deleting a board that you own will never delete another board. Were you trying to delete the TEAM?

From everything you are describing and from the screenshots you have provided, it appears that Sophie and annmarie are members of the same team where you created your Idax Workshop board. Because there are three boards, you have used up your editable board limit.

Some options are:

1. Keep using the Idax Workshop board, as it has an infinite canvas.
  2. You mentioned that you are a student, so you may quality for the free Education Plan which would let you create unlimited boards- more info and the application form can be  here.
  3. You could leave all teams that you are a member of, create you own new free plan team, and then copy your Idax Workshop board to that new team - detailed instructions here.
  4. If you fee you would get $15 USD worth of value from Miro each month, you could use the Add teams button and select the Consultant Plan and then move your Idax Workshop board from the Free Plan [Hec Team] team to your new team:

The Consultant Plan is the cheapest monthly spend available. You would have your own team/workspace with unlimited boards. If you need to invite someone to work on a board with you, you would use the guest editor feature:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021415119-Collaboration-with-guests-BETA-

Hi Rob. 

First, thank you for your reply and to offer to chat on Google Meet.

Your explanation was really helpful.

As to part 3 on how solve the problem:

3. You could leave all teams that you are a member of, create you own new free plan team, and then copy your Idax Workshop board to that new team

If l leave the Hec team my Idax board will be deleted (as l understand it) and won't be able to access it to copy on any board on the free plan.

Maybe the only option left is to pay for a plan but as understand it, its way over my budget. 

All, a bit of a mess. 

Again, thanks for your help. 

Mar

Good morning Rob. 

Pleased to let you know, l was accepted as a student and all set up and running fine now. 

Thanks so much for your advice!

Mar

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mar Goldingay 

l was accepted as a student and all set up and running fine now. 

Great! 

If you were only a member of one Free Plan team, then this team was likely upgraded from Free to Education and now Sophie and annemarie are members of this team? You can check this by:

1. Selecting the team profile settings:
  2. and then Active users

Here are a few posts that you may want to read. They explain how board and project default sharing settings work, which can help you keep your Miro dashboard looking “clean” and not “cluttered” which is what can happen if you are setting all of the boards that other team members are creating.

https://community.miro.com/peer-support-45/how-does-teams-and-accounts-works-4785

https://community.miro.com/educator-community-69/how-to-set-up-miro-education-if-you-teach-multiple-classes-1561

Leaving a team

A note for anyone else reading this: When you choose to Leave a team that you are a member of, you should be prompted with a warning similar to:

Once you confirm that you want to leave, your content (boards, projects, and custom templates) will automatically be assigned to a remaining Team Admin (if there is more than one Team Admin, the one who has been on the team the longest will become the owner of your content).