Anyone else finding the navigation modes confusing?

• 8 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Anyone else who finds the Mouse and Trackpad navigation modes confusing. Both modes seem to require that you have both a mouse and a trackpad at the same time for full functionality.

How, using a mouse, am I supposed to “Slide with to fingers or pinch to zoom”?

How, using a Trackpad, am I supposed to “Scroll vertically with mouse wheel, horizontally with mouse wheel+Shift” or “Zoom using Ctrcl/Cmd + mouse wheel”?

BR

/Björn

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey @MiroBjörn 

Welcome to the Miro Online Community!

You can have a look at this guide https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017731053-Navigation-Mode

Userlevel 1

Hey @MiroBjörn 

Welcome to the Miro Online Community!

You can have a look at this guide https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017731053-Navigation-Mode

Thanks,

But I’m afraid that guide just repeats exactly what I find confusing. Check the images in the guide and you will find that in Mouse mode you are supposed to use a two-finger gesture on a trackpad, and in Trackpad mode you are supposed to use the scrollwheel on a mouse. 

BR

/Björn

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MiroBjörn - My laptop has a trackpad and a touchscreen, but I also have a mouse (with a wheel) connected.

Miro defaults me to touchscreen mode the very first time I access a board, e.g., I have cleared my cookies/am in an incognito window/a new computer, but once I set my navigation mode to Mouse, it remembers my choice.

I only use a mouse with Miro as I have a small, wireless mouse.

To zoom in/out, I use the wheel:

To move/pan around the board, with my cursor in pan mode, i.e., the hand, I click and drag. Note: You can quickly switch between select and pan mode using the V or H hotkey. You can also toggle pan mode from select mode by pressing the Spacebar.

In this example, I will use the V hotkey to switch between select and pan:

Userlevel 1

Thanks,

I think I finally got it. The application can’t differentiate between input devices. So the instruction shows what will be the effect of the different settings regardless of device.

I would still expect the settings to define gestures and button controls to achieve the same functions as on the touch screen but with mouse and trackpad.

/Björn

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MiroBjörn - You nailed it, and that’s a great way to explain. Miro can detect what input devices are present and then sets a navigation mode based upon some logic, e.g., touchscreen trumps trackpad? Once the mode is set, you are stuck with that mode’s navigation options.

Can we have normal navigation mode:

• Ctrl+Mousewheel = zoom
  • Shift+Mousewheel = left right
  • mousewheel = up down
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Can we have normal navigation mode:

• Ctrl+Mousewheel = zoom
  • Shift+Mousewheel = left right
  • mousewheel = up down

@Chris Ride - If you are using a laptop with a trackpad and have the option to switch to that, the Trackpad navigation mode functions just as you have described: