Skip to main content

Where are the Miro board links stored in Google Drive?

I’m currently trying out Miro’s free version to see if I should go for the paid ones. I wanted to know where I could find the links to the board on Google Drive. 

I tried to make a new board and clicked the Export this Board button, then Save to Google Drive. Then a prompt saying that the board was already saved showed.

I tried searching for the same board name on Google Drive but did not find it. 

Where are Miro files/links stored in Google Drive?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Phylla Magallanes - I just created a board titled “gdrive test” and it was searchable in my Google Drive - it (and other board links) were found in the root of my My Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Robert Johnson  Hmmm . . . I never knew about this. I just tried it - and I do some something in my Google drive, but I am not sure exactly what I see. 

I see something in Google drive, but no file size, and no option to download. Plus . . . the whole process was so fast I doubt it is an RTB file. 

Do you have more details about what exactly is saved?

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 2

Hi @Robert Johnson  Hmmm . . . I never knew about this. I just tried it - and I do some something in my Google drive, but I am not sure exactly what I see. 

I see something in Google drive, but no file size, and no option to download. Plus . . . the whole process was so fast I doubt it is an RTB file. 

Do you have more details about what exactly is saved?

Cheers, Ken

Hi, Kenneth.

I think the ones that are supposed to show up in Google Drive are more like shortcuts/links rather than Miro files themselves. When you click them, they’re supposed to open a new window/tab where the file loads in Miro.

If it’s fine with you, may I know in which folder you found yours and I also wanted to ask which plan you’re using? I’m currently using the free version to see if it’ll be worthwhile to go for the paid version. So, I was wondering if my use of the free version is the reason for the links not showing up on my Google Drive.

Userlevel 2

@Phylla Magallanes - I just created a board titled “gdrive test” and it was searchable in my Google Drive - it (and other board links) were found in the root of my My Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

Hi, Robert.

I did a search again on my Google Drive with the same name I named the board but it still did not show up.

I also opened the My Drive folder in my Google Drive, but couldn’t find any Miro folders nor files.

Would the reason possibly be the free version I’m using? Is this feature only available for paid versions? I didn’t think so since when I clicked “Export this Board” and chose “Save to Google Drive”, it did not generate any errors and only said “Board already saved”, so I’m assuming it should be there, but couldn’t find it with a Google Drive search.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hmmmm . . . . I remember at one time somehow “linking” my Miro account/board to my Google Drive, so maybe it is important that you link it -- but it was a long time ago and I honestly forgot how to do this. But I think that link must be essential, because without Miro having your Google username and also the right permissions, then maybe that is what is happening here: a message that says OK but in reality nothing really transferred.

Userlevel 2

Hmmmm . . . . I remember at one time somehow “linking” my Miro account/board to my Google Drive, so maybe it is important that you link it -- but it was a long time ago and I honestly forgot how to do this. But I think that link must be essential, because without Miro having your Google username and also the right permissions, then maybe that is what is happening here: a message that says OK but in reality nothing really transferred.

Hi, Kenneth.

I believe I already had Google Drive integrated/linked. When I click my profile settings and check the Integrations tab, my email address already shows across Google Drive, while the rest still have the “Connect” button since I haven’t connected them yet.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Phylla Magallanes - Just like @Robert Johnson  mine show up at that link he posted. When I click on what I see in Google Drive I see it displays a Miro link, when I click that my board does open up in Miro.  I have the Education plan in the role of professor - so I have “most” of the functionality but not everything.

Just as an aside, you never mentioned anything about your goals in exporting? If Google only stores the link, which is seems to do, then that is not really an “export” but rather a saved link. So you could accidentally have a false sense of security.

Because my boards are so important to me, I do a “hard export” and download them as an RTB file saved on my computer, which can be dozens of MB in size. These I store on my harddisk - and if something happens and I need to re-create a board I screwed up, I have the backup copy I can upload.  But AFAIK this is only possible with one of the paid accounts.

I might also mention there is a third-party app in which a robot will download and store ALL of your Miro content for backup purposes . . . but it is not free. Theoretically, it should work on a free account, because the functionality for that is on the third-party side, not with Miro itself.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 2

Hi @Phylla Magallanes - Just like @Robert Johnson  mine show up at that link he posted. When I click on what I see in Google Drive I see it displays a Miro link, when I click that my board does open up in Miro.  I have the Education plan in the role of professor - so I have “most” of the functionality but not everything.

Just as an aside, you never mentioned anything about your goals in exporting? If Google only stores the link, which is seems to do, then that is not really an “export” but rather a saved link. So you could accidentally have a false sense of security.

Because my boards are so important to me, I do a “hard export” and download them as an RTB file saved on my computer, which can be dozens of MB in size. These I store on my harddisk - and if something happens and I need to re-create a board I screwed up, I have the backup copy I can upload.  But AFAIK this is only possible with one of the paid accounts.

I might also mention there is a third-party app in which a robot will download and store ALL of your Miro content for backup purposes . . . but it is not free. Theoretically, it should work on a free account, because the functionality for that is on the third-party side, not with Miro itself.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Ken

Hi @Kenneth Ritley , I am a math tutor and I share files with my students. I had been using Jamboard for my classes and Jamboard files/links show up on my Google Drive. It was also very easy to move multiple Jamboard links all at once from one Drive folder to another. But since Jamboard is winding down, I’m currently looking at other options as a replacement.

As of this moment, out of all that I tried, Miro seems to be the one closest to what I would use Jamboard for, but with extra functionalities that I currently don’t really need. Seeing the links in Google Drive would be really helpful, so that my students can open their folders on Google Drive, and find all files or links in one folder, for example, regardless of the app needed to open them (it could be a mix of types: PDFs, slides, images files, Miro boards, etc.).

I do understand that Miro board links that are supposed to show up on Google Drive are only links and are not the actual boards themselves, but I would need them for my students to have ease on navigating from one file to the next as I may share different files with them under the same topic (e.g. Linear equations). What I mean is that I may store some PDFs or image files with them, aside from Miro boards links in those shared folders, so it would help if they can click them to open from the same shared folder on Google Drive instead of having to go back and forth one tab showing Google Drive and Miro on another. This would be extremely helpful if they’re preparing for a test--having all the links in one folder.

A workaround I could think of is keeping a Google Doc file with the links but I’m guessing this may be counterproductive if I’d like to move links from one folder to another in Google Drive ‘cause I’d have to recall the Doc file where I placed them and edit them (or do the URLs not change even when changing folders?...not sure about this).

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Phylla Magallanes - wow, a fellow educator!  I work at a college, and I struggle a bit because Miro very narrowly misses the mark on a few things. I’m current writing an application so that teachers can use Miro to give exams and assignments to their students, preserving the teacher/student confidentiality.

I have a suggestion, but I know it won’t cover your file sharing options unless each of the files have been “imported” into a Miro board. What about creating a central “Link Board” in Miro and sharing this with your students. Everytime you want to share a Miro board, add that link to the board. It has the advantage that the thumbnail will appear, as I show here:

If I were a student, I’d much rather go to a board like this to find a link than to just a static (boring) list of links.

As of this moment, out of all that I tried, Miro seems to be the one closest to what I would use Jamboard for, but with extra functionalities that I currently don’t really need. 

You might want to put that opinion on hold, at least for a little while. I saw a private, internal “sneak peak” at the coming Miro features, and I immediately thought many of them would be very applicable to teaching scenarios.

Good luck!

Userlevel 2

Hi @Phylla Magallanes - wow, a fellow educator!  I work at a college, and I struggle a bit because Miro very narrowly misses the mark on a few things. I’m current writing an application so that teachers can use Miro to give exams and assignments to their students, preserving the teacher/student confidentiality.

I have a suggestion, but I know it won’t cover your file sharing options unless each of the files have been “imported” into a Miro board. What about creating a central “Link Board” in Miro and sharing this with your students. Everytime you want to share a Miro board, add that link to the board. It has the advantage that the thumbnail will appear, as I show here:

If I were a student, I’d much rather go to a board like this to find a link than to just a static (boring) list of links.

As of this moment, out of all that I tried, Miro seems to be the one closest to what I would use Jamboard for, but with extra functionalities that I currently don’t really need. 

You might want to put that opinion on hold, at least for a little while. I saw a private, internal “sneak peak” at the coming Miro features, and I immediately thought many of them would be very applicable to teaching scenarios.

Good luck!

Hi, @Kenneth Ritley/fellow educator. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestion to have a central Link Board in Miro, but I think they’d already have that on their dashboards.

Also, I’d like the “centralization" to be in Google Drive as they will have other types of files stored in their shared folders (PDFs, Jams, image files, etc), not just Miro boards, so a file management system like GDrive would be best for me.

I was wondering if Miro has a live video support available so I could show how it is on my end and perhaps they can figure out why the links are not showing on my Drive?

Userlevel 2

I’m currently also exploring other options as I feel I don’t need bulk of the features Miro offers. I’m in it primarily for the collaborative PDF annotation capabilities, but aside from that, not much. Miro is a great tool for teams, especially for brainstorming, but I currently only hold 1-1 classes, and I don’t need the templates that much. 

I guess, I will find other options for collaborative annotation on PDFs, and if I don’t find something, I’m likely to go with Miro. Thank you very much for your help!

Userlevel 2

@Kenneth Ritley and @Robert Johnson 

I don’t know what made it work but I deleted the old board with which I had problems seeing the link in Google Drive, made a new one, and now can see the link in GDrive!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Phylla Magallanes  In German we have a saying: “Ein Reboot tut gut” - well, it SOUNDS cool: “Ayne reBOOT TOOT GOOT”. I will definitely keep this in mind for future debugging!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Phylla Magallanes 

Glad to hear this worked out for you and appreciate you giving us an update on your situation! 

Userlevel 2

@Robert Johnson 
The links are already showing in My Drive. Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering if it’s possible to specify in which folder in Google Miro would export the board link? I was hoping to export it to a subfolder rather than the root My Drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson 
The links are already showing in My Drive. Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering if it’s possible to specify in which folder in Google Miro would export the board link? I was hoping to export it to a subfolder rather than the root My Drive.

This is not something a user can configure through Miro, and I’m pretty sure that end users can even specify this through their Google Drive settings.