Grids Feedback

Show first post

105 replies

I cannot seem to delete a row or column.  not trash icon is available, as shown in the help instructions. I can only ADD. A toggle that changes “add” to “remove” might be nice, like holding shift changes + to -. 

When I hover over a cell in the grid, I see a ‘3-dot’ icon floating at the far end of the row and at the top of the column for that cell. If I click that icon, a toolbar menu opens which includes a trash can to delete either the row or column, depending upon which 3-dot menu was opened. Hope that helps!

Thanks Shari! I needed that. :thumbsup_tone2:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Adar I noticed you reported a bug with disappearing text in a different thread – can you help you with that as well or was it resolved? 

Userlevel 1

This is very welcome!

After using it a little bit:

• Missing vertical alignment
  • Can't group assets inside cells
  • Can we have padding and cell spacing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

+1 to @Shari Lowe  -- an option dialog on ‘paste from spreadsheet’/similar:  “stickies or grid” would be very useful. . . 

Partially because getting ‘text’ into the grid tool is still clunky, even for a ‘one at a time’ work flow.

The ‘double click on cell to enter text entry mode’ works on the first cell you do it to, but once you’re on a cell, in text entry mode, and you double click another cell you do not enter text entry mode in that new cell. If you then try to enter text your keys activate new tools in the tool bar. Super frustrating.   

Once I’m in ‘text entry mode’ in a particular cell, that cell should help me know that I’m at that state. Its state currently looks very much like a ‘no selection’ state (except for a small cursor blink). The blue border on the selected cell disappears… and this can be confusing… perhaps it could stay, or turn another shade? or pulsingly glow??  

Lastly, I’m eager to see what’s possible when you expose grid data/methods for SDK/API. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another small thing: 

Lines/Arrows without endpoints -- in the grid. Either spanning multiple cells or within a cell. 

• It seems the scaling logic is incorrect or at least incoherent  … it also seems to depend on … 
  • A line drawn in the grid is different than one moved onto the grid then ‘end point re positioned / re-bound’. 

I think the best work around at the moment to get consistent scaling logic and manageable results is to create two objects… they can be transparent circles if need be… and bind the arrow to those two items. 

Hi @Robert Johnson , 

I would like to place a frame into a grid and have the grid treat the frame and any content as one object. This does not work however and results in the grid either overriding the connection of the objects to the frame or ignores them altogether. If the objects are connected to the frame and the frame is placed into a grid-cell, the grid ignores both frame and objects inside the frame. If I move an object into the frame that is placed within a grid-cell the object will link to the grid cell only (Rearranging the rows/columns will in the second case move the object with its cell, but drop the frame. I don’t have a possibility to attach a screen recording right now, but I will try tomorrow. 

Thanks again,
~Marcial

Userlevel 1

I am currently working on something which badly require this grid,  I am struggling to build the Grid using Table.  Can you please enable this feature for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marcial Franze - I experience the same results when placing a Frame inside of a Table - the Frame does not move with the table, therefore objects in the Frame remain with the Frame when the Table is moved.

I believe this is expected behaviour at this time, but would suggest that we create a Wish List post to request a change in behaviour as you have outlined. If you agree, please create a Wish List post by copy-pasting your ask into a new post in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

I could have moved your replies from here into a new post, however, I wanted to keep your comments here for others to see - also, I will let you name the post as you see fit.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

@Lena Shenkarenko Hello! Could very much use the feature right now as my team is considering using Miro to build out several new templates (rather than use Figma for this). Could we get access to the beta for using Grids? If helpful, would be happy to provide detailed feedback on it along the way.

HI, I am working with Grids on a few boards (risk, program board, dependency). I have several issues:

On one of the grids the last line does not have a ribbon and cannot be deleted/moved. I would love to remove it, but it is not possible to select it. I wonder if that is a bug?

What is the best way to use the grids in terms of ratio of the Boards to view: I noticed that the fonts are very different when they are typed vs used in a shape, which makes displaying very challenging.

Is it possible to lock the grid and still work in it? Even with manual shift it is still easy to resize.

Thanks a lot. 

You can lock it and still edit the text. I have found it’s easiest to lock the grid as it is so easy to accidentally grab

Userlevel 1

Different behaviour using grid feature in Web and windows app.

In Browser,  I was able to select number of rows and columns while selecting the grid.  But in windows app I am not able to select number of rows & columns and grid is by default creating as 3x3  See the video for more clarity

https://www.loom.com/share/6bb32f4fc9d548bea4d1cc2470a6781a

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

No “love” yet. I don’t know is @Anna Nowak has gotten anything. 

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

No “love” yet. I don’t know is @Anna Nowak has gotten anything. 

@Jason Bazylak I sent an email to Miro Support yesterday afternoon.  So as soon as I hear back from them, I’ll let you know. 

@Jason Bazylak , @Michelle Hall  -  I have received a response but was directed to internal contacts at my company.  Have not had a chance to follow-up here but in the meantime, at least for text, I've resolved with selecting the Text tool and then the text box appears (or can be dragged to) in a cell in the grid you can type in it.  Once done, I've noticed the grid and the textbox move together when you shift the grid anywhere on your board.   Still no solution to format 1 cell at a time and can only do entire rows or columns.

Anna, Jason & Michelle – please DM me – I’ll see what I can do! If you can record your screen & share your board backup with me, that’d be fantastic. I can work with the engineering team to figure our what’s not working for you. 

@Lena Shenkarenko I am having the same problem.  How were you able to solve it for Anna, Jason & Michelle?  Thanks!

I want to use this to put an agenda in a slide.  It has three columns: Topic, Timeframe and Facilitator.  I want to do this without it looking like I’m using a grid - I am only using it for alignment and spacing.  So I’d like a “no borders” option please.

If anyone has a better way of doing an agenda in Miro, please let me know.  I just want a one page slide - we go through a miro slide deck and work in the activities along the way.

Locking items on tables really should be supported. Please :kissing_heart:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kate H -

Why not just use the normal align function and have the agenda topics & timing as text boxes or sticky notes and facilitators being avatars or other images? That’ll make for a more creative agenda than the usual “boring” tabular view…

Kiron

Thanks Kiron.  I discovered that this is what we were doing, with a single text box each row, but using a bunch of spaces to align the columns.  I suppose if you put each column’s info in separate text boxes you can align the columns easily.  I will give that a go. I refuse to use space bar for alignment!

I see what you’re saying about ‘boring’ tabular view, but our workspace is interesting elsewhere, in the session boards, this is just supposed to be a simple slide to frame it all up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jason Bazylak , @Michelle Hall  -  I have received a response but was directed to internal contacts at my company.  Have not had a chance to follow-up here but in the meantime, at least for text, I've resolved with selecting the Text tool and then the text box appears (or can be dragged to) in a cell in the grid you can type in it.  Once done, I've noticed the grid and the textbox move together when you shift the grid anywhere on your board.   Still no solution to format 1 cell at a time and can only do entire rows or columns.

Anna, Jason & Michelle – please DM me – I’ll see what I can do! If you can record your screen & share your board backup with me, that’d be fantastic. I can work with the engineering team to figure our what’s not working for you. 

@Lena Shenkarenko I am having the same problem.  How were you able to solve it for Anna, Jason & Michelle?  Thanks!

Not yet Lori – to be able to resolve this for you, I need a link to your board or a board backup (or both, if possible) to pass it on to our dev team for investigation. If you could record a Loom video for us as well, that’d be super helpful, too – but it’s more of a nice-to-have :) You can DM all of this to me and I’ll share it with the team. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

How soon until this is generally released? I am seeing about using this for remote D&D.

There, I superimpose a map onto a grid since the characters can only move so far. Having a grid means I won’t have to do this manually and lock each gridline. 

Coming soon! Please, stay tuned :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A quick update for all our Grids users out there :hugging:
Over the past couple of weeks we made a couple of UX improvements to the feature:

• It’s now possible to align text in cells vertically and highlight it
  • You can customize border color 
  • Adding new rows and columns is easier and doesn’t have any limitations – previously, it was only possible to add new rows at the bottom of the grid, and columns – on the right side of it 

You can find GIFs showing each of these improvements in our Changelog

Userlevel 1

@Jason Bazylak , @Michelle Hall  -  I have received a response but was directed to internal contacts at my company.  Have not had a chance to follow-up here but in the meantime, at least for text, I've resolved with selecting the Text tool and then the text box appears (or can be dragged to) in a cell in the grid you can type in it.  Once done, I've noticed the grid and the textbox move together when you shift the grid anywhere on your board.   Still no solution to format 1 cell at a time and can only do entire rows or columns.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Is it live today? I got a notice in my board that I could use it but when i try to drop it into my board, it doesn't appear. 

Hey Nikki, how is the feature working for you now? If you still have issues, please, don’t hesitate to DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi Lena,

it’s so cool - so good.

Noticed one thing:

Add a grid with 5x6 or so cells

Add in one cell an arrow:

Move the grid … arrow doesn’t move …

And an additonal wish:

Make Mindmaps elements move into the gridsections, too.

This would be great.

I am so fascinated about this new tool.

Great work!!!
Michael

Thanks for the feedback – passing it on to the product team.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1