Learn: "How I Run User Research in Miro” with Deniz Kartepe

• 21 February 2024
  • 7 replies
Learn: "How I Run User Research in Miro” with Deniz Kartepe
Userlevel 2

Hey Community! 

I’m @Deniz Kartepe, a UX Researcher at Miro here to show you how I do UX Research! Join me in this video as I explore the world of UX research and synthesis using Miro.

Dive in as I share my process, including a handy framework for visualizing the research journey and tips for staying aligned with stakeholders. Whether you're a seasoned researcher or just starting out, there's something here for you!

Check out the video and head to Miroverse for my free custom board with instructions.

💬 Have a question, comment or want to share how YOU run user research in Miro? Share your thoughts and boards in the comments below—I'd love to hear from you! 

7 replies

Hello, after seen your template and video I am confused with your 2 parts “Research goals, topics and questions” and “Objectives and questions”. In which case you use one or the other? Why we shouldn’t have “Goals, objectives and questions” it is for me the more logic way. Does using one or the other depends on what kind of research we do like test or exploratory research? 

Thanks

henri

Userlevel 2

Hello, after seen your template and video I am confused with your 2 parts “Research goals, topics and questions” and “Objectives and questions”. In which case you use one or the other? Why we shouldn’t have “Goals, objectives and questions” it is for me the more logic way. Does unsing one or the other depends on what kind of research we do like test or exploratory research? 

Thanks

henri

Hello @Henri-L ! 

Thanks for the question! 

When I was putting them, I also thought about deleting one or the other and then decided to leave them both there and let people decide between them, and I added a tooltip saying that you can choose one and delete the other. 

As you have guessed, I tried both of them and found them useful in certain cases. The main differentiator is “topics” on the left one. If the research project is driven across multiple main directions, I try to separate it via topics.

If there are no fundamentally differing topics covered in the research, I stick with the other option.

I hope you find this useful! 

Best,

Deniz

Thanks Deniz for the answer. I have other questions/remarks:

1. There is no place to scope the research area.
  2. You focus on questions to ask but in UR there is also hypothesis to validate. Maybe “Hypothesis” could be somewhere in the section 2.
  3. There is no place to “describe” the methodology that will be used.

I hope my comments are relevants and give you insights to improve your template… OR not 😀.

Thanks 

Henri

Userlevel 2

Thanks Deniz for the answer. I have other questions/remarks:

1. There is no place to scope the research area.
  2. You focus on questions to ask but in UR there is also hypothesis to validate. Maybe “Hypothesis” could be somewhere in the section 2.
  3. There is no place to “describe” the methodology that will be used.

I hope my comments are relevants and give you insights to improve your template… OR not 😀.

Thanks 

Henri

Great feedback @Henri-L , thank you very much! 

Indeed I missed on being clear about some of them, thanks for pointing out. I’m adding my follow ups below:

1. For the scope, I was expecting a collaborative phase in the “3. How Will We Know” section on the empty frame building on top of the “2. What we want to know” section. Ideally, it would serve the scoping purpose from my PoV, but if it can be made clearer there, please let me know and I can work on refining it!

2. That is a good point (hypothesis), and I realised I missed out on this when I was stripping my actual research boards and getting them to the template format, I checked my current boards and realised that it was a part of the “2. What we want to know” section, what a great catch, thanks a ton, I will do a v2 soon! Meanwhile please feel free to add it there yourself by duplication. 

Here is what my most up to date “2. What we want to know” Looks like:

3. I used this format almost exclusively with Hybrid In-Depth Interviews & Usability/Concept testing. The “4. Lets Know” section therefore wouldn’t be very applicable for other methodologies mostly. I should have been clearer about it. For survey analysis, I am using a very similar format, perhaps I can publish it soon as well and further differentiate the two by naming. 

Thank you very much for the great points, I hope it was nevertheless useful for you! 

Take care and happy researching!

Deniz

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Deniz Kartepe - Thanks for sharing this! Two questions:

1. Why didn’t you just go ahead and make the top buttons links to the various sections, when you created the BACK TO NAVIGATION link? Was this because of how the blue arrows was impact the look and feel of the buttons? If so, perhaps you’ll want to upvote my wish list post 😲(BTW, nice rotation of the shape/link to make it point back/to the left 😉).
  2. What is what on your desk? A clock? A pomodoro timer?

Userlevel 2

@Deniz Kartepe - Thanks for sharing this! Two questions:

1. Why didn’t you just go ahead and make the top buttons links to the various sections, when you created the BACK TO NAVIGATION link? Was this because of how the blue arrows was impact the look and feel of the buttons? If so, perhaps you’ll want to upvote my wish list post 😲(BTW, nice rotation of the shape/link to make it point back/to the left 😉).
  2. What is what on your desk? A clock? A pomodoro timer?

Hey @Robert Johnson ! 

Thank you for the questions! 

1.  Oh originally the top buttons have linkings in my own research boards, but somehow they did not work on templates. It is a technical shortcoming that I only realised after submission but what a great suggestion you had on the wish list, that’d be elegant, I’ll raise it internally as well, love it!

2. Yes it is! I looked up my order history, apparently it is this.

Take care! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks, @Deniz Kartepe!

For any readers wondering about the differences between Link to and insert link when creating links in a board, I talked about this a bit in this post (and included a link to a related Help Center article):

https://community.miro.com/miroversity-forum-92/linking-objects-together-in-miro-7614?postid=31968#post31968