Why can't I change a full member to a Guest?

• 1 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I don’t appear to have the option to change a full member back to a Guest member.   If I click on the three dots next to the member I only have the options to remove from the team or promote to team admin.  Any ideas how I can change the member to a guest member?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sarah Bowman - This is because Guests are only added directly to a board on a board-by-board basis, if there was an option to demote a full Member to a Guest, Miro would not know which board(s) you would want to add them to, and it would not make sense in the context of changing a user role to then also ask you which board(s) they should be a Guest of. And, even though they were initially added to at least one board before they were promoted from Guest to full Member, once that action occurred, they were no longer a Guests on that (or any board). I hope that makes sense why there is not an option to change them back to a Guest :)

I had the same issue. The thing is that if I try to add a user to a board and give them `edit` permissions, this automaically adds them as a Member. This is a problem for me because I’m not notified that the user is added as a member and might end up with many members for which I’m gonna be charged at the end of the month. I think the UX should be more explicit in this case.

What I did to workaround the issue:

• delete the member
  • add it to the board with view or commenting permissions (NOT edit)
  • check in Team users to be sure it is added as Guest
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

What I did to workaround the issue:

• delete the member
  • add it to the board with view or commenting permissions (NOT edit)
  • check in Team users to be sure it is added as Guest

@Veselina Radeva  - Thanks for sharing your steps with the Community 😊

The thing is that if I try to add a user to a board and give them `edit` permissions, this automatically adds them as a Member.

This is because Guests editing is only available on Business and Enterprise plans.

More on this in the Collaboration with Guests help center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021415119#h_01FJBPNMXJJ7BZ5DJ2XPFPCNBB