Zoom and Miro: best practices to combine these tools

• 24 March 2020
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

I can’t wait for the integration to launch. Is zoom going to launch all their “Zapps” at once? Is this the reason launch has be delayed?

FYI - When presenting, it really has helped me to hide slides and reveal portions only when I am talking about those sections

RJ

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

yes in the free plan there are limitations.
But as i discovered miro i worked serveral days with the free version.
It offers a real huge possibilities to work.
I remember i set my most favorate things into one board and worked with the other two boards and copied my most used frames always from board one to one of the others … 

It works but it costs time.

Now i prefer to work with templates it saves time and gives me everthing i need with a click of a mouse. And i can create elements i use very often ...

If you are students just try to check out if you / your school/university gets into the Education Plan:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan 

This should help you a lot.

Best regards
Michael

@Isman Tanuri  Thanks for your video--how did you have your video on the screen? Are you able to see others videos or just cursors. I’m new to zoom & miro integration, I have run a few lectures and workshops using both, but find participants find it hard to toggle between the two, so I’m looking for ways to improve this experience for them! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @AMC, thanks for reaching out. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

Re: participants toggling screens

A very high-quality onboarding to Miro is key here. I’ve run a few events of up to 300-pax and this ‘toggling screen’ issue hardly cropped up. If the experience is designed well with plenty of interactions, participants will be more than happy to be in Miro most of the time. Because that’s where the action is.

(Also, I limit the amount of technology. Everything happens on the Miro board, including my slides, so there’s practically zero screen toggling in my sessions.)

There are many studies today that showed having cameras off/not seeing self on the screen increases productivity and reduces fatigue. I also find that participants listen and engage better when they don’t look at me :)

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/02/new-study-turning-off-cameras-in-virtual-meetings-boosts-productivity.html

As a facilitator, it’s always best to work with 2 screens, one each for Zoom and Miro. In my sessions, ‘cameras on’ are optional. In some homes, keeping cameras on may not be possible. For those who have cameras on, I’m grateful that I’m able to see expressions on the other monitor. It’s a privilege. 

To your question, yes, I see all cursors and I see participants’ faces on the other screen.

Re: Zoom+Miro integration

This is not a great experience unless you’re using Miro in a small persistent group or team. For example, with team members at work or perhaps small school discussion groups. It’s an issue with how Miro is integrated into Zoom. So if someone is running an old Zoom app, there’s a chance that Miro will not work. Clunky.

However, if you really want a very good experience in terms of integrated Miro+video conferencing, then I’d suggest trying out Butter (https://butter.us/). Here’s a recent video recording:

You’ll notice that everyone can use Miro and everyone can see each other :) You can try Butter for free and integrate it with your Miro account. Let me know how it goes?

I think someone mentions it above, but I am concerned about doing a zoom for breakouts and having a Miro board and having it be a bit clunky going back and forth between the applications.  Has anyone had success with the combination and if so, how?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi all,

Like to chip in here to see if it can help anyone.

If you’d like to use Miro with a whole group or in breakout, take a look at our platform called Toasty (https://toasty.ai/). We integrate with Miro and you can have everyone use it together in the main room or when everyone is in breakout - they always have access to the board and is only 1 click away.

Moving people from one breakout room to another breakout room won’t disconnect them as well. And you don’t need to screen share.

I hope this helps - and if you have any feedback, very happy to hear :)

Kevon

Co-founder & CEO of Toasty

Hello,

I have just tried using Toasty - which did indeed seem like an answer to our prayers - and have just left the following message at the "live chat". Pity. ;-/

"Hello, I just wanted to let you know that, although I was initially very excited about your product, based on the "academy" videos, i found it definitely not ready for prime time... Buggy in almost every single feature I tried. Starting with something as simple as editing a session: every time i click on it, a "new" host appears (all me); trying to get to google drive kept giving me an "feature not available" error message; the session itself reverts to blank every time I leave it, losing all the planning; and finally, my attempt to chat with somebody led me here, where I get the information that you`ll be back online "later today", whenever that is. Toasty seems like an incredible idea, but it is definitely still in beta, and should be made available as such. Customer trust is a hard thing to get back, and it's my opinion that you are very much risking losing it with everyone that tests it as a finished product. "

It did look interesting. Bummer.

Thank you for providing your response.

I have a follow-up question:

Miro offers two types of plans: a free plan and various paid plans. The free plan allows users to share up to three boards with an unlimited number of people. The paid plans offer unlimited boards, but restrict the number of people with whom a board can be shared.

As a teacher, what type of plan do you think would be most beneficial and practical, considering that students typically complete their educational process after several sessions and new students take their place?

Thank you!

Hi,

I think integrating is the way to go because being logged into two separate accounts is cumbersome and clunky.

I have been trying all day to integrate Miro and Zoom by using Zapier without success. I upgraded to a Pro Zoom but still can’t get it to work. It looked like it worked for a minute but I could never get the Miro function back when in Zoom.

Very frustrating and these companies have poor support, well I haven’t heard back from anyone yet.

If anyone has managed to make this work I’d love to hear how you did it.

Anastasis

Thanks very much James. I’ve not been able to focus on Miro for some time but will be able to come back to it later in the Summer and no doubt may have some follow-up questions for you.

Many thanks! 

Hi all,

Like to chip in here to see if it can help anyone.

If you’d like to use Miro with a whole group or in breakout, take a look at our platform called Toasty (https://toasty.ai/). We integrate with Miro and you can have everyone use it together in the main room or when everyone is in breakout - they always have access to the board and is only 1 click away.

Moving people from one breakout room to another breakout room won’t disconnect them as well. And you don’t need to screen share.

I hope this helps - and if you have any feedback, very happy to hear :)

Kevon

Co-founder & CEO of Toasty

Hello,

I have just tried using Toasty - which did indeed seem like an answer to our prayers - and have just left the following message at the "live chat". Pity. ;-/

"Hello, I just wanted to let you know that, although I was initially very excited about your product, based on the "academy" videos, i found it definitely not ready for prime time... Buggy in almost every single feature I tried. Starting with something as simple as editing a session: every time i click on it, a "new" host appears (all me); trying to get to google drive kept giving me an "feature not available" error message; the session itself reverts to blank every time I leave it, losing all the planning; and finally, my attempt to chat with somebody led me here, where I get the information that you`ll be back online "later today", whenever that is. Toasty seems like an incredible idea, but it is definitely still in beta, and should be made available as such. Customer trust is a hard thing to get back, and it's my opinion that you are very much risking losing it with everyone that tests it as a finished product. "

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Zoom Transcript to Miro Layout

Made a full post today over here about a Zoom Transcript to layout plugin prototype I’m working on…  thought I’d semi-repost over here. 

It takes a zoom meeting transcript and lays it out into a commenter-by-commenter swimlane-ish flow of their sequential comments on stickies. 

Here’s a little demo video walk-through of where I was able to nudge the prototype to this week.

Interested to learn where we the people of Miro might want to take a prototype like this ...