Rate limit for SDK usage

• 4 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

the REST API rate limit and how to control it by using the responses is good described and works well (Even if being slow. But it is anyhow limited to 1000 widgets, but this is another question...).

How can I control the rate limit for the SDK usage?
The only statement I have found so far is: “The Miro SDK enforces rate limits on widget operations. Each operation (create, update, or delete) on one widget costs one point. The current rate limit is 10,000 points per minute, summed over all widgets, and overall web-plugins, executing in a single client.

Do I need to count on my own? Or are there any methods to check the remaining points or the time when the rate limit is replentished?

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello @Sebastian Hebler,

Thanks for reaching out. At the moment, the SDK does not have a method to track the request usage. Are you encountering problems related to the rate limits?

Kind regards.

Daniela

Badge +1

Hi Daniela,

it was not clear for me if a widget creation will fail if I exceed the rate limits. I haven’t encountered any issues so far, but I have still w/ approx 2000 widgets to create some room until the 10000.

Regards,

Sebastian

PS: Do you have plans to remove the 1000 widget limitationn of the REST API ?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Sebastian Hebler,
Widget creation should fail when reaching the rate limit. You raise an interesting point about being able to check if you are close to the limit through the SDK. I will let the SDK team know about your concern.
About the 1000 widget limit, this won’t be a problem in the next release of the REST API when we add pagination for listing the widgets. I cannot give you an exact date for this, but this is a common request and the limitation will be lifted.

Kind regards.

Daniela

Badge +1

Hi @Daniela Gavidia,

in regards the 1000 widget limit and when the limitation will be lifted: Do you have an rough estimate? Is it still this year?

Another observation: The REST API and the SDK calls uses sligthly different identifier. Do you plan to align both access methods?

Regards,

Sebastian

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Sebastian Hebler,

We don’t have visibility yet on when this will be delivered, this is part of backlog for this year. We will let you know when it is ready. 

Absolutely, we are working to bring more consistency between the REST API and the SDK.

Stay tuned, good improvements are coming :) 

Anthony