why ask whether mouse or trackpad?

• 13 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I work with both a mouse and a track pad.  Why have a setting about it?

Why not just work according to which one is used?

Saying to use a mouse, and then using the trackpad is awkward.

and Vice versa.

And the dual setting is bad no matter what.

Can someone explain the rationale behind the way this option is set up?

It’d be more consistent (something Miro’s UX is horrible at) and it’d make it easy when you usually use a mouse but then use the trackball. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Al Shalloway -

Is it always prompting you for this? In my case, I have a laptop with both, and I usually use the mouse and Miro never prompts me which navigation mode I’d like to use.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

While I don't see specific details in the Using Miro with a mouse, trackpad, or touchscreen help center about what "auto-switch" is supposed to do, I believe it trying to detect if you are currently using your trackpad or your mouse.

The mouse actions would not be the same if your Miro board is in Trackpad navigation mode, e.g., a wheel on a mouse would zoom when in mouse mode but should plan the board when in trackpad mode.

For users (such as myself) who have both a trackpad and a mouse, they may use the mouse while at their dedicated workstation, but when they go remote, they may use only the trackpad. Miro likely added the auto-switch option so that those users don't have to pick a mode. However, some users may want to force a mode always as a personal preference.

I know this reply didn't really explain the rationale behind the current options. I think you would have to dig in, note the differences, and then try to come up with scenarios why you may want to force one option always. Or maybe someone else on this forum will share their experiences with these options. I honestly haven't even touched the settings in months.

Userlevel 1

RE Krion - no it doesn’t ask me for what i want.

But why even have an option. I can see no reason for this. Just detect where the input is coming from - mouse / trackpad and act accordingly.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the responses. but this makes three of us apparently who can’t understand why this option exists. 

Userlevel 1

actually, maybe the auto-switch works. I could have sworn that i tried that once - but that it didn't behave the way i wanted. let me try it again when i have a mouse and i’ll report back. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Al Shalloway It might be because not all mouses have mouse wheels? When I use my Apple Magic Mouse the zoom functionality is sometimes defunct, probably because it incorrectly thinks I'm using a trackpad. When switching from auto to mouse mode in the settings, it works better.

I don't know if this is the reason, but it makes sense to me at least. 🤷‍♀️