Using icons from Miro

• 27 October 2020
  • 5 replies

We are creating a mobile game and we need to use the icons from Miro. Can we use them? Do I need to indicate copyright?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Alex Artukh - My best guess is that you are only allowed/licensed to use the Miro app icons in a Miro board and not in external source, e.g., a game. For a more official answer, I would suggest that you reach out to the Miro Customer Support team directly by creating a ticket via this special form.

It would also be helpful for the rest of the community if you were to come back here and share what the Support team told you.

If you were going to only use icons from the Iconfinder app in Miro, then you could try reaching out to Iconfinder directly at → https://www.iconfinder.com/ to inquire about licensing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We are creating a mobile game and we need to use the icons from Miro. Can we use them? Do I need to indicate copyright?

I need the icons to help with onboarding people into Miro. Did you ever get an answer on this?

1. Go to https://www.iconfinder.com/

2. Find your icon again (use the search bar)
    • If you want the exact same results
      • Use the same search term
      • Select the “free” filter
        ​​​
  3. Click on the icon to get:
    • the copyright license for the icon
    • name and user profile of the copyright holder
    • download links

Many of them are Creative Commons or MIT license, so will only require you to add a link to the license and a link to the copyright holder somewhere on your app/website.

As a bonus, here’s some other handy tools

I need the icons to help with onboarding people into Miro. Did you ever get an answer on this?

I don’t know if this will ping you, but see my comment above, if you still need the info over 2 years later :p

This is really burdensome-- I have to personally go to IconFinder and manually locate each individual one to determine its usage rights? if I have an image that uses dozens of icons, if I don’t recall the search terms that I used to find them, or if they were made by somebody else on my team, or long ago, that is not plausible. Plus there’s no way to guarantee that I found the right icon, or that its usage rights won’t change. Miro needs to provide an assurance about what may be done with content created on its app.