Sensemaking with Miro - best practices

• 14 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
  • Active Contributor
  • 21 replies

Hello,

I want to do some personal and perhaps shared SenseMaking around topics going on in the world. I am going to be intentionally vague about which topics and what SenseMaking means -- I don’t want to limit your responses.

There are some rigorous models out there, I am open to less rigorous, more casual options.  I think in terms of a central question or thesis I am exploring. Coming out of that might be some sort of nodes to organize related thoughts. Individual nuggets might be facts or assertions -- perhaps they are “true”, perhaps they are up for debate. Maybe you could doulble click on the idea and get more information. In an ideal world, it would be like Miro as an interface on top of Obsidian (notes).

So like a mind map with some extra finesse I suppose.

If anyone is interested in describing what they do or sharing a screen shot, that would be cool.

Cheers,

Rob.

1 reply

I've been using Miro for sense making for a few years now. Good night, I do think this is miro's core competency. Enabling teams to gather around a board and think together in a visual way. In my professional work as a UX researcher, I will use Miro to plan out research sessions and collect stakeholder questions. Having all the team place their questions on a single board and then prioritize them according to risk/opportunity and known versus unknown and visually laying them out on a board allows the whole team to federal line on the problem statement.

I've also been engaged in a passion project for a number of years. Here we capture key moments of conversation. This practice is much looser and free flowing. The infinite canvas, the ability to add sticky notes at a keystroke, the affordance of links appearing as cards, and the potential to make any object in mirror a link enables conversations to be captured and mapped.

In this setting I've used Miro mostly as a way to capture moments of a conversation and later arrange visualizations of that conversation for a later date. Over time we developed game boards and brought conversation cards to the Miro bored. This is opened new possibilities. 

For a number of years we did this on a single board. After many sessions, a rich tapestry of our thoughts emerged and it became necessary to create interfaces where links within and across a single Mios board allowed for rich exploration of the topics on the board.

We've recently launched a new venture and with it, a paid subscription to Miro which freed us from using a single board to capture all of our sense making. We'll see how this goes!

Would be glad to compare notes, Rob

Cheers