Answered

Moving project board to a new team on free plan

Hi! I originally started using Miro for a class project with a team. The project since then has ended and no one uses the team anymore. However, I continued using Miro for my own personal use. Not realizing it was connected to my project team still, I created a board that I use for my own project planning. 

I’ve since realized that the board is still under this project team where I am not the owner. I would like to leave this project team and take the board I’ve been using with me and create a new team that contains just me. 

However, I’m on the free plan and don’t see a work around to do this except for swapping to a paid plan for a month. Is there a work around for this, or should I simply pay for a single month so that I can move the board?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 2 June 2021, 20:10

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - How may teams is your Miro account profile currently a member of, i.e., when you login to Miro, how many teams do you have on the left? For example, I am a member of ten teams:

I’m only currently a member of the one team

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Next question before we continue: For for the board that you want to keep and move to a new Free Plan team, can you set the Share settings as follows?

If so, set them as per the above and let me know.

I’m not the owner of the board. If I follow the share settings link I only see myself and the owner of the board (who is also the team admin) on the list of people with access

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Options now are:

1. The board owner transfers board ownership to you, at which point you could try setting the board’s Share settings as per my screenshots (and copy the board link - IMPORTANT!!!) - then you download a board backup (.rtb, just in case, and then you leave the team you are on, create your new Free Plan team, open the link to the board, and then Duplicate it into your new Free Plan team.

2. And if the current board owner won’t transfer ownership to you, then they will need to set the board’s Share settings as per my screenshots  - and you will have to be sure to copy the board’s link before you leave the team.

Is option # 1 possible?

They’ve graduated so option 1 isn’t possible

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Ahhh, okay. Then a Team Admin could Delete them from the team and assign ownership of all of the Boards to yourself.

At which point this happens:

Is that an option?

We don’t have any team admins. There was only the owner and then people with normal access

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - By the way, you can find a Team Admin by going into the Team profile settings → Active users:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We don’t have any team admins. There was only the owner and then people with normal access

Every Miro team will have at least one Team Admin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Another option (and I wish I would have thought of this sooner...)

1. open the board you want to copy
  2. click on the board title - do you have the Duplicate button? If so, click it and it will make a copy of the board that you will the owner of:

I have 3 boards. It says that it’ll make the board im trying to duplicate read only. Will this be a problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Yes, that is okay. Once you have the duplicate that you own (and have copied the board link to your clipboard), you can leave the current team, create a new team, open that duplicate board, and duplicate it again to your new team.

And once you have left the old team, the person on the old team who has been a Team Admin for the longest on the team will automatically become the owner of the duplicate board you created and can delete it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Madison - Did that work for you?