Miro data protection (GDPR) - 24 links from miro app to internet

• 8 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Wow! Really??

My firewall gave me 24 warnings directly after starting the Miro app on macOS (please see list at the end).

My first impulse is to choose NO for all and deinstall this greedy application immediately...

Of course there are a few sites that has to be called, when ever I decide to install an external app, but even in this case, there is no need to contact all of them right from the beginning.

googleanalytics and doubleclick are known for collecting very much data from users surfing the internet. Normaly I can manage this in my browser settings or I am getting data protection popups at the beginning where I can decide what is o.k. for me and what is not.

But in this case I am using the miro Application not a website!!

And nobody without a better firewall would even notice that the miro app is contacting 24 sites and might be sending personal data to third parties. I did not check them all for what they are doing.

Bottom line: instead of storing my prefs like language, fonts etc. locally, they are given to google and others. Who knows what kind of tracking, tracing and profiling is done with this data?

Btw.: including google code for signup etc. brings tracking code into apps. This fact can be found on security pages.

At the moment I don’t have the time to listen into this conversation, but I decided to not put any personal or business data into the diagrams.

I signed lots of NDAs forbidding me to send data to different paces and companies

Question: Is there a detailed description available what data will be sent to the companies and services?

Thank You and Best regards

Klaus Becker

List of warnings I got:

miroapps.com

GitHub.io

hs-banner.com

cloudflare.com

usemessages.com

Hubspot.com

hs-analytics.net

ctfassets.net

split.io

doubleklick.net

google.de

google.com

google-analytics.com

googletagmanager.com

nr-data.net

newrelic.com

app.link

branch.io

realtimeboard.com

static.com

hotjar.com

pingdom.net

hs-scripts.com

Marina 3 years ago

Hi @Klaus Becker,

I think you should message privacy@miro.com directly. This is the best channel for questions of this kind.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Klaus Becker -

I’d suggest opening a support request with Miro for this (Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center) as I doubt anyone in the user community can provide details for each of the 3rd party sites which Miro communicates with. My assumption is that many of these calls will have nothing to do with the data in your boards but are called as part of Miro’s initial launch process.

Kiron

Thank You Kiron for the suggestion contacting Miro Support. I will do that.

As I stated: without a good firewall, the user does not recognise the 24 Links opened my the miro app.

So I did not expect a complete answer for the 24 links.

But maybe some people know one or the other company behind the urls or got problems with IT concerning data protection.

And finally the community should be informed about what is going on, what is harmless and what is critical. 

Sending tracking information to google analytics, doubleclick and friends is a direkt personal tracking. They get data from all over the web (Klaus was here, Klaus was there, Klaus installed miro, Klaus uses MindManager - yes, I found similar access there too).

So, even if they only use my personal data and not all of my diagram data: I don’t like that!

Best regards

Klaus

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Klaus Becker,

I think you should message privacy@miro.com directly. This is the best channel for questions of this kind.