Question

Managing many boards with passwords

• 25 February 2022
  • 11 replies

How are other people managing having many boards with passwords across a massive project with multiple teams?

How I’m doing it: I have one board where I put all the board names, the links and the passwords - but it’s getting crazy. 

Does anyone have a better way of doing it?

We need password protection on the boards because the information within them is sensitive and shouldn’t be shared across the entire organisation. We have many subfolders / sub-projects that are working well within the MIRO dashboard, but I need to know links and passwords across multiple teams and projects. I can’t even give access to my password board to the larger team because not all team members should have access to all these boards (so it’s password protected too!!). So I suppose I could probably have different management boards 😞 for different levels of access.

We (as a team and organisation) need to find a better way to manage our MIRO boards and passwords - so looking for ideas of what works for you.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Megan Thompson - Other options available will depend on what plan type you have. Are you using Consultant, Business, Team, or Enterprise?

I would use a spreadsheet over a Miro board to manage this type of info, but that's just me.

Thanks @Robert Johnson - it’s an enterprise plan.

Interesting that you’d use Excel, which is probably the one thing I didn’t think about. I could add other details to a list in Excel, which would probably be useful. Although I love being able to physically view my boards in MIRO - and I have them grouped by functional area as well. I have about 8 different categories at the moment.

If I was clever I’d probably do linked screenshots in my board or another tool as I’d just see it and go, “That board.” Hhhhhmmmm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Public & password protected board management has been an issue for years. In the following post I went as far as to dust off my decades old development skills and used Postman + the Miro development platform's REST API to at least query and see which boards were publicly accessible - here's a post where I talked a bit about it:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/identifying-boards-open-for-edit-5604

Unless something has changed in the v2.0 of the REST API, you won't be able to manage passwords. If you have developer skills at your disposal, you could have someone investigate this route.

https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-v2-beta-97/welcome-to-the-miro-developer-platform-2-0-community-forum-7142

Badge

Public & password protected board management has been an issue for years. In the following post I went as far as to dust off my decades old development skills and used Postman + the Miro development platform's REST API to at least query and see which boards were publicly accessible - here's a post where I talked a bit about it:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/identifying-boards-open-for-edit-5604

Unless something has changed in the v2.0 of the REST API, you won't be able to manage passwords. If you have developer skills at your disposal, you could have someone investigate this route.

https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-v2-beta-97/welcome-to-the-miro-developer-platform-2-0-community-forum-7142

Hello @Robert Johnson is it possible to have access to this second link you shared as I cannot access. 

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@AntoineOne - I cannot access it either. Someone must have made a change as the 2.0 developer platform is now out of beta.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Megan Thompson I’ve started adding board passwords to my password manager (Dashlane), simply naming them [Team Name] + [Board Name]. But yeah, I’d greatly prefer a better password management within Miro… 😄

+1 - Also looking for a way to set passcodes of (public) boards, preferably by the API. 

Can you recommend to the team that they also email the original poster as well as replying to the community in addition to contacting the original poster via email? There is probably a good chance that many other people will be interested in the answer to Michael's question as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @IT'S UP TO YOU and everyone else!

Thank you for sharing all of the ways password management could create value with you in Miro.

We will be sure to share this feedback with our team and update this thread if this feature becomes available to more plans. In the meantime, for those coming across this idea, if you feel this would be helpful for you or your business, please be sure to vote for it and leave a comment about your use case to help our team scope this request!

Some ideas & feedback I have on passwords is you can’t see the title of the board when asked for a password and often we set the password as the name to not forget it. 

Is there a way of requesting / using a “forgot password” link to regain access without having to annoy the board admin? :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kerryn - To request a new feature in Miro, you can post in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Another Option to board name

You could use the board ID, which is the character string between the last two forward slashes, and which is visible in the browser address bar for a copy-paste: