Linking issue from external PDF

• 15 June 2022
  • 9 replies

I am making an indesign document destined to be exported as an interactive PDF and I wish to include a link to my Miro board in view only mode. When I copy the view mode link from the sharing panel in Miro and add it as a hyperlink, the link works but only when I test it from within the indesign application. When I export my doc as an interactive PDF the link no longer functions. Is there a way I can work around this? The project is time sensitive and this issue seems odd to me.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Charlotte Benes

When I export my doc as an interactive PDF the link no longer functions.

Can you explain further? What no longer functions? The link doesn’t do anything or the Visitor/anyone with the link access in Miro no longer functions? (e.g., you are taken to Miro’s website, but no board loads?)

The link opens a page in chrome that reads “This site cant be reached” with a mocking frowny face

I have tested with other URLs and have no issue. This is a Miro specific problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Is the URL that is in the Chrome address bar when you receive this message the exact same as the one when you used the Copy board link button in the board Share window?

If the URL is the same, you should be able to copy it from the Chrome address bar, open a new Tab, and paste it in there to go to the board.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Can you do a test of this for us all to see by:

1. Create a new Miro board - call it “PDF test” - put anything in there… maybe at least one sticky note
  2. Set the Share settings to “Anyone with the link → Can view”
  3. Copy the board link and put it into an InDesign document
  4. Export the InDesign to PDF
  5. Upload the PDF to the Miro board
  6. Share the Miro board link here - that way we see the original board URL and the PDF where the link is not working.

With this test board shared here, if your issue needs to be escalated to Miro support, they will have an example.

Okay see here for some reason it is working? Just not with my originally intended board? I did everything the same with this board and the PDF link is working but it doesnt with my other board.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I would compare the link on the original board to the link that is in the InDesign document.

A quick way to compare is here → https://text-compare.com/

Okey there must have been some kind of indesign bug or miro bug i was dealing with. I reloaded miro and remade the doc, tried again and it is working now. Very frustrating but probably not miro’s fault. Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

By the way, you don’t have to use the Copy link button in the Share window - you can just just copy the board link from your browser’s address bar. I mention this because perhaps the “?share_link_id=57584289203” that Miro has appended caused an issue - it shouldn’t, but maybe it id.

Even if you do use the button in the Share window, you can always remove the “?” onward.