Skip to main content

For a couple of days when editing a mind map the return key not only creates a sibling node as intended but also creates a new line which screws up the layout.

Here I typed “Sibling1” Return “Sibling” Shift+Return “2” Return “Sibling3”.

I use Miro on Windows 11 in Firefox.

Is this a bug or am I doing anything wrong?

hi @supiflo 

Not sure if I’m understanding this correctly but hitting Return inside a node is meant to create a sibling node. More details here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730753-Mind-map

If you want to create a second line inside the node’s text box, hit shift+return to add a line break inside the box. Does this answer your question?

Hi @elvaMiro, thanks for the answer. I know return should create a new sibling. This is what I want to do in this case.

But hitting Return also creates a new line in the active node. This is not what I want.

A workaround is to exit a node first like “sibling2”, ESC, Return, Return, “sibling3” but thats not the easy flow I like in Miro.

I tried Firefox, Chrome and Firefox on another system. Same result.

Hi @supiflo 

Other users have reported the same issue with the nodes. Our team is aware of this behavior, and we're actively investigating a solution. In the meantime, you can try the following as a temporary workaround:

• Shift + Enter: This should help if you're looking to add a new line within the same node.
  • Enter: Ideally, this creates a new node on its own, but if you're seeing both a new line and a node, our team will address that bug soon.

Any updates on this?

Hi @Gradir,

Thanks for following up on this thread. Upon checking, the team is currently working on a fix that will help solve this issue. While we do not have any updates yet from the team, we are keeping our lines open for their updates.

We will inform you once the team has released a fix. 

Same thing happens with tabulator-moving. The active node starts with tabulator. It’s more difficult to spot, but if you use “multi word” terms, their alignment on multiple lines reveal that the first word is tabulator starting.

Activating the node and deactivating seems to remedy the issue, but if filling new mindmap with tab-inserting multi word items it indeed breaks the flow.

A workaround is to exit a node first like “sibling2”, ESC, Return, Return, “sibling3” but thats not the easy flow I like in Miro.

Now even the workaround does not work anymore.

Same problem here. With RETURN and with TAB.

Any updates on this issue? I have weekly assignments that require the use of the mind map and it’s definitely been a lot more of a struggle because of the inconvenience of having to go through every node and delete that silly added line.