Issue importing .rtb backup : Something went wrong

Hi, I want to import a .rtb file from another paid account to our paid account. But I get an error message : Something went wrong, without any more details. I saw that another conversation with issue had been posted about a year ago ([RESOLVED] Anyone else having issues restoring RTB files?), the solution was to contact Miro team. Can you help me on that issue?

Thanks in advance

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@David Duguay -

Unfortunately that restore message is a bit generic and might mean a bunch of things including corruption in the backed up file, a temporary issue with Miro or anything else. If you are consistently getting it, I’d suggest a couple of things:

1. See if the person who backed it up can restore it in their account.
  2. If they can’t, have them take a fresh backup and send you that. If they can, there might be something going on with your account which Miro support could troubleshoot. You could contact Miro support here: Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale 

I checked with the person who exported the board initially and he can reimport it without issue. I tried on both my PC and Mac computers using the downloaded app, same message : “Something went wrong”. I will send you a request for that issue. Thanks.

I have this problem as well, with all of my .rtb files from the same project.  I would appreciate any additional support that can be provided since the error is generic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have this problem as well, with all of my .rtb files from the same project.  I would appreciate any additional support that can be provided since the error is generic.

That error can also be returned when the backup files is past the 200 MB restore limit. However, if the file is over 200 MB, support can restore it for you. More on this here:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/import-backups-larger-than-200-mb-7276?postid=7309#post7309

Thanks but the file is 40MB

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks but the file is 40MB

Are you able to restore any .rtb files? For example, if you created a new board right now with one sticky note, exported as a .rtb file, could you then store that file?

Also, did you open a support ticket using the instructions in my previous reply?

Hi Robert, I created a new board with one sticky and was able to save a backup then restore it with no problems.  I will try the support ticket; I thought that was only for files >200 MB

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lynn Handley

I created a new board with one sticky and was able to save a backup then restore it with no problems.

Hmm, yes, likely something wrong with select backup files.

I will try the support ticket; I thought that was only for files >200 MB

Nope – support is there for any unexpected behaviour/questions.

Hi, I hope this conversation is still active.

I am also having an issue with recovering a backed up board. The boards date from 2 years back when I backed them up. In total I have 10 boards backed up containing important data of my research. Unfortunately one of them I’m unable to recover. The file size is 715 kb.

I understand I cannot open a support ticket as I’m using an education account as a university student. I’m really hoping someone can help me out here to recover this file!

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Adriaan Vervoort 

Unfortunately one of them I’m unable to recover. 

Do get an error? If so, what is the message?

@Adriaan Vervoort

Unfortunately one of them I’m unable to recover. 

Do get an error? If so, what is the message?

Hi Robert,

It’s the same message “something went wrong”.

That’s all the information I have

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Adriaan Vervoort - I have converted your reply to a support ticket. It would be helpful if you could open the ticket from the confirmation email that you received and attach the .rtb file. If you are unable to attach it, you may need to sahre a link to it from a could storage platform, e.g., Google Drive or Dropbox.