I am always accidentally drawing a line between two objects - is there a way to shut this off?

• 28 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am not actually sure what I do but many many times I am moving my cursor, select an object and instead of the object being highlighted I have drawn a line between two objectives.

It seems to me it should ask me if I’m trying to add lines, but apparently Miro is anticipating what I want to do (a bad UX idea IMO).  Anyway, is there an option to shut this off and only draw connectors when I ask it to?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Al Shalloway - This cannot be turned off. This used to happen to me quite often and I had to just become aware of the my behaviour and how it was causing the unwanted lines.

When I am creating an object and typing in it, e.g., sticky or a shape, my typical action when done typing and the object is in edit mode, i.e., the cursor is flashing and the object is still selected, is to click on a blank spot on the board AND away from the blue dots that create the connection lines (or you can press the Esc key twice to exit edit mode and de-select the object):

When moving objects, if you click-and-drag a non-selected object and let go of the mouse/screen/touchpad, the object is never selected, and the blue connection-line dots never appear:

But if you first select the object as one action and then click-and-drag it, I suppose there is a greater risk of creating an unwanted line as the blue dots are now present:

I hope some part of what I have shared will help you in the future🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Forgot to mention, if you hover over the connection line dot for longer than ~¼ of a second, it turns into a triangle and will either create a connection line to an object in close proximity of that direction, or it will create a new object with a line connected to it:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Al Shalloway -

I’ve got just one word for you: zoom :-)

I always zoom in on smaller objects to avoid accidentally linking them or resizing them.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

thanks so much to both of you. I have struggled with this and hadn’t noticed that pattern.

knowing how to avoid the behavior like this is not too bad at all. :)
many thanks. :)