How do I mute "what's new"?

• 9 November 2020
  • 38 replies

When Miro releases updates, I get these annoying “what’s new” popups all over the screen.  I don’t want to see them - they get in the way of me actually using the board to get work done.

How do I permanently disable these popups?  I don’t see any options in preferences, anywere.

38 replies

Userlevel 2

EIGHT [ANGRY FACE] 

+1 for this request

Its absolute nonsense that you are distracting me from actual important notifications by your idiotic Whats New updates. This aggressive marketing approach for a paid product is unacceptable and if you are not changing it then I will be looking for other alternatives.

I agree with all these complaints but it’s 2022 and no company cares what any of us think if it interferes with marketing and sales.

Yeah, I’d also like to have these popups disablable very much. They’re annoying

Userlevel 1

I rarely use Miro now because it’s such a bloated mess of notifications and features that I don’t care about. But every single time I need to use it, I’m greeted with this What’s New popup, and it’s so obnoxious!

Userlevel 1

A lot of the tone in this thread implies that the “What’s New” popup should be removed entirely, or defaulted off.  While I’m also very frustrated with this feature, I think we should focus on the achievable compromise: Can we please just have a setting to disable these pop-ups?  The setting doesn’t need to default “off”.. the popups can remain the default.  There doesn’t even need to be a button on the popups themselves to “unsubscribe” from them (although I would prefer that there was).. the option can be buried in a user’s settings, so only people who seek it out actually find it.

I’d like to address a couple questions from earlier in the thread:

How do you learn about Miro product updates?

I don’t learn about product updates.  I never read the popups.. not even once.  I dismiss them immediately without reading them because I’m just trying to access a board.  They’re not making me aware of new features.. they’re an obstacle between me and what I’m trying to do.  In my case, and I think may others, the popups are not accomplishing what you want them to.  

How do you want to learn about them?

I don’t want to learn about product updates.  Please understand that Miro is not the type product I seek out and choose.  It’s a product my organization chose and I need to use it to read documents that people within the org create.

I suspect many of your users (possibly even a majority?) are like me: we use the product because our organization uses it and we need to access the documents in order to get work done.  

These users--perhaps we could call them “secondary customers” or something--are less likely to be enthusiastic about new features.  Many of us never create Miro boards ourselves, we simply need to access boards created by others.  We’ll discover new features when the people who create Miro boards use them.  Features we don’t discover are features we don’t need, because this isn’t the kind of tool we seek out.

I don’t use Miro every day.  I probably use it about once a week on average.  Even though I only get this popup once for each update, there are almost always updates since the last time i used it, so the experience feels like I get the popup every single time I use the product.  It’s difficult to express how frustrating these pop-ups are.  They’re irrationally frustrating.  It’s an emotional experience; that’s why you’re seeing anger in other people’s comments.

Users like us don’t necessarily dislike the product.  Aside from the popups every time I use it, I would like the product, but the popups have become the most memorable experience of using it for me; when I think of “Miro”, the #1 thing that comes to mind is “That app that nags me every single time I use it”.  I know this is probably not nice to hear, but keep in mind the type of users we are (from above).

@Robert Johnson I appreciate your polite engagement earlier in this thread, and I know it’s probably difficult when the response is unfriendly or borderline hostile.  I hope you can understand that I laughed out loud at the irony of this:

I also don’t want to replace Miro new update notifications with notifications from this post :wink:

I suspect most of the people who have commented on this thread in frustration are much more interested in notifications about updates on this subject than they are in product updates.

I’m not sure if the person who started commenting repeatedly was just doing it every day, or every time they received a “What’s New” popup, but I can see the reasoning behind commenting for each popup received; replicating the experience in the thread requesting an option to disable the popups.

You were able to unsubscribe from thread notifications.  We can’t unsubscribe from the popups.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Lots of feelings in this thread. 😅 Personally, I’ve never been too bothered by What’s New? popups. And although it probably would be nice with a setting to turn them off, if Miro adhered to all requests to add customizable settings and options the UI would quickly resemble this:

Userlevel 1

Lots of feelings in this thread. 😅 Personally, I’ve never been too bothered by What’s New? popups. And although it probably would be nice with a setting to turn them off, if Miro adhered to all requests to add customizable settings and options the UI would quickly resemble this:

I don’t have visibility into all the things that get requested, but it looks to me like there’s room for another checkbox on the Settings->Notifications page.  If there are other notifications that people can’t stop and are frustrated about and asking for an option to disable them, I think there’s room for a number of additional checkboxes on that page!

… and of course there’s also the possibility of putting the checkbox on the popup itself.

Userlevel 1

Today’s “What’s new” was especially relevant, haha. “Want to minimize distractions”? YES, distracting popup, I would like to!

Userlevel 1

I thought I’d come back and say that I feel I’ve experienced a reduction in the number of pop-ups.  It could be that I’m using Miro more often so the same pop-up frequency affects a lower proportion of visits, or the popups might actually be less frequent in general.

I’d still prefer a setting, and I still immediately close them without ever reading them, but the popups aren’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think “Miro” anymore.

So if there’s been a change, thank you for it.

Userlevel 1

Today I noticed a blue bar at the top of my Miro board mentioning something about videos and with a button/link to see whats new.  I instinctively dismissed it before realizing that this was a much more minimal and less intrusive version of “what’s new” than the old modal, so I didn’t get a screenshot.

I’d like to again extend my thanks for making this experience less intrusive.

When I think of Miro today, I think of the collaborative diagramming tool that lets me link parts of my diagram to other documentation and internal systems.  I no longer think of the thing that throws popups at me.

Thank you <3

Stuff like this still happens. I got both of these in the same session. Incredibly annoying.

The irony: I just got an email notification from Miro that there’s been activity in this thread, but when I follow the link, I find that nothing (apparently) has happened. 🤦