Answered

Freeform frame picks up locked background element :(

• 19 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hey all, having an un-intuitive problem here...seems like a bug based on the words “freeform” and “lock.”

I’m using a free-form (not grid) frame that keeps “picking up” a vertical line I want to remain fixed in place behind it. When I move the frame, it picks up all lines in the background which it partially overlaps. This is true even if I “lock” those lines.

Is this sort of behavior of frames unavoidable? I can switch to just a shape and group items in the shape, but the label and ease of moving around a frame was a plus in this scenario. 

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 19 March 2021, 18:19

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Corey Morrow - To clarify, freeform and grid are related to the layout of objects in a Frame and Lock is about locking objects - they are completely separate in the context of how objects behave on a board.

When you drag an object to a frame, the moment the frame highlights blue, now the objects is “attached” or “bound” to that frame, e.g.:

If you lock an object while it is in the frame, it is still bound to the frame, but if you lock an object and then move an existing frame over top of the locked object, then moving the frame will not move the locked object. 

In this example, I will

1. Lock the black line
  2. move an existing frame over the black line
  3. add the red line to the frame and lock it
  4. and then move the frame:

However--and this may be a missed requirement--if you create a new frame over a locked object, then, yes, the locked object does move with the frame.

In this example, I will lock the black line and then create a new frame over the locked line and the locked line can then be moved:

I will share this post to Miro support as feedback and reply back here with what I hear. Don’t expect this behaviour to change any time soon, if at all.

Brilliant explanation, Robert! And visuals to boot. Thank you. I can solve my problem with this. 

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Corey Morrow - By the way, Miro support got back to me about this - stay tuned for more:

Hi Rob!

Thank you for bringing our attention to this behavior. I'm truly sorry for the delayed reply.

I have passed the case along to the Tech team — rest assured they will now investigate this further to see how we can improve this behavior.

We will definitely keep you posted on our progress. Please bear with us!

@Corey Morrow - By the way, Miro support got back to me about this - stay tuned for more:

Rad! Thanks for letting me know Robert. I mean, your visual guide definitely helped me solve my problem such that I assumed I had inadequate prior understanding of the order of operations needed to do what I wanted to do, and avoid what I wanted to avoid, but if it can be made more intuitive for then all the better. :)