Enable users to fill in blank fields in a Word (or similar) document within Miro

• 16 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi there!

I’m new being part of the Miro community despite using Miro for over 2 years. I look forward to connecting with other users and sharing ideas and experiences. If I’m asking something that’s been answered countless times over, forgive me… and… please be gentle with me on this first post! 

What I’d like some expert advice on is whether it’s possible to enable users to complete open field sections of a document from within a Miro environment, so that this document could then be used elsewhere in our agency process.

To provide some context… We use Miro to enable collaboration in our ideation and innovation process with our teams across different regions of our marketing agency. As they make their way through the process there are instances where we need them to arrive at a consensus and capture / document this so it can be consistently surfaced in things like creative briefs, client proposals, pitches and presentations.

Here are a coupe of scenarios:

1. We encourage our teams to identify / define and agree on a client’s business problem. In all honesty, this isn't always clear from the client’s original ‘ask’. We have our own ways / techniques to determine an understanding of this, but one of the critical outputs of this stage is that the team agrees and captures a single version of the agreed business problem.

Currently the only way we can do this is using sticky notes and impressing on the session facilitator the need to ensure the final agreed version is obvious and easy to identify.

However, there are additional essential steps required, which at present rely on someone in the team ‘manually’ copying across information from the Miro environment into other documents

I.e. e team I’m working with  will need to clearly articulate the agreed business problem and commit it to the PPT template we use to present our ideas and recommendations back to the client as well as into a Creative Concept or Master Activation brief later on in the process.

Rather than having to copy and paste statements from the board into other document types, or copy a sticky note and ‘carry it forward’ into a later stage of the process so it is consistent throughout the process, is there a way to give them a standard document template with blank fields to complete (which are standardised at some points in our process) so that there’s a ‘single’ version of what we’ve agreed?

2. We have a specific way of summarising a brief which aims to strip everything except that which is essential out, so the key considerations are easy to understand. 

Again (similar to the above question) our teams currently have this structure within our Miro environment which they use sticky notes to draft and refine. However, it’s then one person’s responsibility to retrospectively copy the final / agreed statements off each of the sticky notes in Miro, take them out of the Miro platform and paste them into a shared Word document.

It would be so much easier (and potentially reduce the risk of misinterpretation) if the team (with a nominated notetaker or scribe) where able to complete this ‘form’ in Miro and have it pull through to the Word doc, our brief template (currently also in Word) and through to our client presentation template in PPT.

3. And finally, as our teams work through the more creative thinking dimensions of our process we encourage them to crystallise their thinking and commit to defining the big idea in a ‘crafted’ way - think of an ‘elevator pitch’. We do a similar thing when we challenge them to translate the big idea into a solution: the first thing they need to do is define the solution framework, agree on it and commit it ‘to paper’. In simple terms - just like the big idea - they need to be able to articulate the actual solution at high level in crisp, clear terms and in a way that can be consistently carried across different documents (proposals, SOWs, pitches etc). 

Again, the current workaround for this is that we have a Ppt template that can be surfaced in the Miro environment for reference. However the solution gets defined using sticky notes or in a text box. It’s on one of the team members to take the action to copy this across to a shared doc or PPT template after the session, which isn't always efficient.

So… my question here (and I think there are several) is whether it’s possible to provide teams with a way to input agreed ideas in fields within a form in Miro to remove the need for additional ‘manual’ steps?

Maybe someone in the community has had a similar challenge and can help. I’d really appreciate any advice and thoughts.

Keep innovating!

Stu

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Stuart Andrews -

You can certainly create “forms” in Miro - a frame with text boxes, some of which are locked and others which are unlocked would suffice. 

The real question is around portability of the entered data. You could export the content in PDF format, but if you needed to have the data fields entered into some other system that would be much more challenging.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Stuart Andrews, welcome to the community! Have you considered using Google Drive? With the Google Drive plugin, you'd be able to edit the Word document directly in Miro.

https://miro.com/marketplace/google-drive/