Answered

Drag and drop images - Not in correct order (1,2,3 etc.)

• 12 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,

When I am dragging and dropping .jpg images into the board from Windows Explorer directly onto the board, the order of my images come in random.

For example, in windows explorer, my images are organized 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3,jpg etc up to 30.jpg. However, when i drop them into MIRO, the images come in at random order, 9.jpg, 3.jpg, etc.

It would be very helpful if they came in order. Is there a naming convention I can use or another way to import so they import in order?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 12 February 2021, 01:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Charlie Cattlett - Miro appears to sort on the most left digit when determining the order on the board.

E.g., if I have the following:

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg

They will upload in the following order:

• 1.jpg
  • 10.jpg (because “1” again with another digit after)
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

Example:

If I use a three-digit naming convention:

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 007.jpg
  • 008.jpg
  • 009.jpg
  • 010.jpg

then it works:

The following would also work:

• 1.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 111.jpg
  • 1111.jpg
  • 11111.jpg
  • 111111.jpg
  • 1111111.jpg
  • 11111111.jpg
  • 111111111.jpg
  • 1111111111.jpg

@Robert Johnson - Thanks for the reply. It still seems to not be working for me, if I just drag and drop. Are you doing it diffferently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Charlie Cattlett - Well, I did just learn that Miro appears to want to go over ten images and then start a new row.

I am just doing either Ctrl+A to select all images in the Windows Explorer folder and dragging them on the Miro board (latest Chrome browser, but I also tried the 64-bit Windows desktop app and same behaviour).

Can you zoom out more and take a screenshot of the total space you’re working with? Are you near another objects?

Yes, as you can see, lots of images which is why it is import for them to come in order. Otherwise, it will take a lot of time to sort

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Charlie Cattlett - Do any go in order, e.g., if you only select images 001, 002, and 003?

I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with you local Windows setting? (Regional settings, Windows Explorer folder view settings etc.)?

@Robert Johnson -- You just nailed it. I am working VPN and connecting to a remote server which the files are hosted on. When I move the files from the remote server to MIRO, there must be some encryption and they come in random order.

BUT, if I copy the photos to my local desktop and bring them into MIRO, the photos come in order.

Very interesting little nuance*

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Charlie Cattlett - Ahhh, lost in translation!