'Double tap to add the last object used' feature is not working anymore

• 12 December 2021
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3

Help me out someone, please!

I’ve been using Miro for half a year now, everything worked smoothly, but 2 days ago I accidentally did something, and NOW the ‘Double tap to add the last object used’ feature is not working.

Now, if I double tap on the board, nothing appears, neither the T for the text, nor squares or stickers.

How can I have that function back?

Please, I hope someone knows.

Thank you <3

61 replies

Made an account to comment!

You removed a critical feature to my every day life and sanity as a product manager - this feature transcended Miro and was my note taking and conversational engine. 

I know I don’t have all of the details, but based on my experiences working with my team and the data on this thread I would not have felt confident making the decision to inflict so much pain on people.

I say this in genuine sadness.

Want to solve my problem? I need a way to instantly summon interactable objects (on my cursor) and type into them without clicking around.

• CTRL-N does not work, tab sticky spawns them in non-helpful locations

Please know that the removal of this feature causes me sadness every day, and what hurts more is it feels like the decision was not deeply understood before being undertaken.

Please help

Please return the double click option to add a new sticker. Hasn’t been working for a month or longer. Very annoying as it’s one of the most used option.

I use Miro Desktop app / Microsoft laptop.

Cheers,

Y.

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

I totally disagree with this decision. You should listen to your actual users, not data that doesn’t indicate the reason for deletion. That is your assumption. 

Please see this thread asking for it to be returned:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Userlevel 1

Missing double clic feature to create a post it +++

so annoying not to have access to it anymore ! Loss of time ! 

Please don’t deprecate this function.  True, sometimes I use it mistakenly and delete the object immediately.  But I go into extended periods in my workflow when I rely on it to move quickly.  

Userlevel 2

To give visibility to this issue for the Miro team, please upvote that suggestion. Also on that suggestion’s second page there is a message from a Miro team member about a new feature to add new sticky notes.

“The product team is ready to test an improvement that will (hopefully 🙌) unlock one more way of adding new sticky notes to Miro boards.”

Now I don’t know what it is and if it will be useful like double clicking, but we should join the beta testing group to help them bring a usable function. The instructions how to join the testing group are in that message.

Link: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Userlevel 1

Upvote this one !!!!

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Userlevel 1

Awwww - damn it!  I thought I was going crazy that double click to add latest object wasn’t working anymore.  What a massive shame.  I echo others that this is a regressive step.  I had even created a little gif to show others this feature, as it supports rapid ideation. 

I’ll try to adapt by using N (note) keyboard shortcut instead, although I agree that’s not going to help on a touch device.  Let’s all upvote the “bring it back” wish list item I saw as I logged in. 

This does make me curious about what kind of UX research you do before making these decisions? This thread as a great example of the challenges we all face when making these sorts of decisions, and I’ll be sharing it with our product team for discussion. 

I just want to add that I also really miss this feature and hope it will come back. It’s really slowing down my workflow not having it, and it was only after spending ages in frustration, refreshing the page, going through a bunch of settings, etc., that I thought to Google where the setting was/if this was a bug. And then I came across this post!

If this setting can become configurable, that’d be much appreciated!

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 

So 64% of the cases, it is removed.  That means 36% of the cases it was highly useful.  That is a really bad way of interpreting that data.  Also, as a frequent user of that feature, there are certainly times where I double clicked and it was the wrong thing so I deleted it.  So I, and I’d imagine others of this feature would give you a bunch of false data there.  But even double clicking and deleting is still whole seconds faster than having to go all the way to the tool bar to get a new sticky.  

This is a really tone deaf interpretation of your data. Many of us heavy users of your product use this constantly. This lowers productivity in your product immensely. When using lots of stickies the seconds add up and things take far longer to accomplish.  Highly disappointed and I know several of my co-workers are too. This costs us enough time that I probably won’t recommend keeping your product at our company. I’m sorry your company seems to misinterpret data rather than actually listening to your customers.

Userlevel 1

That is classical misinterpretation of statistics of user's behaviour. Let's say your number is correct. 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. Then what? That user STOPS using it. Double click is an intentional action. People don’t just double click for fun. They double click because they expect something to happen. Now what happens? Nothing!

If the feature is kept, 64% will goes down for sure (if you are not counting new users).

Userlevel 1

I also signed up just to echo the request to bring this back! It really slows me down and I keep making that mistake and getting annoyed. I even convinced my new work place to get Miro because it is a life saver, but these small things make the experience slower. Why remove it if it doesnt interfere with anything? Isnt it similar to undo or redo? 

I also noticed the switch between pan and select has become worse, before it auto detected, but now you have to actively press a key to note the difference. Please bring back those 2 shortcuts!

Please bring back this feature. It really helps me speed up my work and keep it optional !!!

Userlevel 1

This is outraging. I am so, so pissed off. You don’t have my understanding, I give you instead my sincere frustration and anger for screwing up my productivity. Miro is the one tool I use every day. Now every time I want to create a sticky (which is a lot of times), I am reminded that your team decided to f… with my productivity. And as I am so invested in the tool, I am not likely to switch to the competition, so I feel trapped with your abysmal design decision-making process.

This is design incompetence 101.

Userlevel 2

Just adding my 2-cents here - I am familiar with all the other ways to add (for example) sticky notes, but I find the double click much easier when making random notes on the fly quickly, the other options require more clicks, moving the mouse after taking an action, keypresses with another hand, etc. I am in Miro all day from conducting trainings, running workshops, or just making notes with my team and still am annoyed every time I am trying to make a new note.

I agree with the suggestion to add the option for users to turn this feature on if they want it.

I am really disappointed to experience this deprecation.

Please bring the double clicking functionality back !!

It was an excellent functionality and I think the interpretation of data here was not correct (with all respect).

Please bring it back !!

Thanks,

I logged in here specifically to add my voice to this thread - please bring back this feature. It’s such a time saver, and as many others in this thread have said, it’s very inconvenient to have to do what in effect are workarounds because you’ve disabled this feature.

Also as someone else has said, the double click was the only /best way of quickly adding a rectangular / long sticky note. I’m in despair, thinking of how much time I’m going to waste, not having this double click feature any more. Please bring it back. 

Please bring back the double-tap! I am so sad to learn that it’s being deprecated. It was arguably one of the most useful aspects of Miro vs other competitors. The hot key/work arounds are just not as intuitive. I would gladly participate in research on the subject. Removing double-tap is definitely going backward for your users.

64% of us deleted the last appearing object just because we forgot to change the object!!! Immediately after the removal we used the double-click effective function to continue our work at the same speed, saving our time and effort! And it is normal - to delete objects as we may change our minds. The same object with the same shape, colour, type and font. Please, return the function! we need it so much!

Userlevel 2

super disappointing that this feature went away -- definitely slows me down to get things done in Miro - was one of my favorite features when working in adhoc groups and discussions

Userlevel 1

Echoing other users’ disappointment here. I do rapid mapping of very complex meetings, and people rely on me to be able to map out ideas quickly. The double-click was the only option that allowed me to move the map arround and add notes quickly wherever I wanted. This was a bad call.

Userlevel 2

Im also badly missing the ‘double click’ feature. It was so handy to capture notes in a quick fashion. It’s so much slower to do them individually. Please bring this make this feature as an option!

Userlevel 1

I signed up just to add my voice to this thread. BRING THE DOUBLE CLICK POST IT NOTE BACK! I’m so frustrated. I can’t believe you’d make a decision based on (not very compelling) data without understanding the impact removing this functionality would have on users. 

Userlevel 1

This is how I know that UX isn’t empowered. If you are finding that people delete some notes after double-clicking, you don’t remove the feature. There are other solutions and I haven’t seen your qual research, but why not make it a setting? Double-click drops your last used object - on/off.

So you can double click OR:

• Find an object. Copy it. Paste it.
  • Press n. Then click.
  • Go to the left toolbar. Click on the object. Click on the sub-choice for the object. Click where you want that.

You took something easy and intuitive that took two taps/clicks, and made it manually intensive. You removed something people needed and used, and why? Because some people didn’t use it? Can you imagine what would be left in Miro if you completely removed SOME things people didn’t use?

Be careful when you think you are saving a user from themselves. If your observational research shows that people double clicked by mistake, erased the object, and did that over and over and never learned, then *they* might need to turn that feature off.

What did they think they were doing by double clicking? I would imagine that observing these things would inspire you to possibly change the double click to what users thought their task was. But to just remove it?

Please empower UX teams, and make sure you are hiring highly-qualified UX practitioners who can apply critical thinking. Let them find and solve problems because removing a popular feature because some people had a wacky time with it doesn’t seem like the right answer.

Please put this feature back and make it a setting. Do you want double clicking to drop your last used object? Yes/no

Or what do you want double clicking to do? Drop the last used object/thing observational research showed that users thought they were doing by double clicking.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I can add my vote for this being a much used feature, having it as a default off setting would satisfy us pro users and make newcomers have a nicer experience