'Double tap to add the last object used' feature is not working anymore

• 12 December 2021
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3

Help me out someone, please!

I’ve been using Miro for half a year now, everything worked smoothly, but 2 days ago I accidentally did something, and NOW the ‘Double tap to add the last object used’ feature is not working.

Now, if I double tap on the board, nothing appears, neither the T for the text, nor squares or stickers.

How can I have that function back?

Please, I hope someone knows.

Thank you <3

61 replies

Userlevel 1

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

That is classical misinterpretation of statistics of user's behaviour. Let's say your number is correct. 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. Then what? That user STOPS using it. Double click is an intentional action. People don’t just double click for fun. They double click because they expect something to happen. Now what happens? Nothing!

If the feature is kept, 64% will goes down for sure (if you are not counting new users).

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 

So 64% of the cases, it is removed.  That means 36% of the cases it was highly useful.  That is a really bad way of interpreting that data.  Also, as a frequent user of that feature, there are certainly times where I double clicked and it was the wrong thing so I deleted it.  So I, and I’d imagine others of this feature would give you a bunch of false data there.  But even double clicking and deleting is still whole seconds faster than having to go all the way to the tool bar to get a new sticky.  

This is a really tone deaf interpretation of your data. Many of us heavy users of your product use this constantly. This lowers productivity in your product immensely. When using lots of stickies the seconds add up and things take far longer to accomplish.  Highly disappointed and I know several of my co-workers are too. This costs us enough time that I probably won’t recommend keeping your product at our company. I’m sorry your company seems to misinterpret data rather than actually listening to your customers.

I just want to add that I also really miss this feature and hope it will come back. It’s really slowing down my workflow not having it, and it was only after spending ages in frustration, refreshing the page, going through a bunch of settings, etc., that I thought to Google where the setting was/if this was a bug. And then I came across this post!

If this setting can become configurable, that’d be much appreciated!

Userlevel 1

Awwww - damn it!  I thought I was going crazy that double click to add latest object wasn’t working anymore.  What a massive shame.  I echo others that this is a regressive step.  I had even created a little gif to show others this feature, as it supports rapid ideation. 

I’ll try to adapt by using N (note) keyboard shortcut instead, although I agree that’s not going to help on a touch device.  Let’s all upvote the “bring it back” wish list item I saw as I logged in. 

This does make me curious about what kind of UX research you do before making these decisions? This thread as a great example of the challenges we all face when making these sorts of decisions, and I’ll be sharing it with our product team for discussion. 

Userlevel 1

Upvote this one !!!!

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Userlevel 2

To give visibility to this issue for the Miro team, please upvote that suggestion. Also on that suggestion’s second page there is a message from a Miro team member about a new feature to add new sticky notes.

“The product team is ready to test an improvement that will (hopefully 🙌) unlock one more way of adding new sticky notes to Miro boards.”

Now I don’t know what it is and if it will be useful like double clicking, but we should join the beta testing group to help them bring a usable function. The instructions how to join the testing group are in that message.

Link: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Please don’t deprecate this function.  True, sometimes I use it mistakenly and delete the object immediately.  But I go into extended periods in my workflow when I rely on it to move quickly.  

Userlevel 1

Missing double clic feature to create a post it +++

so annoying not to have access to it anymore ! Loss of time ! 

I totally disagree with this decision. You should listen to your actual users, not data that doesn’t indicate the reason for deletion. That is your assumption. 

Please see this thread asking for it to be returned:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Please return the double click option to add a new sticker. Hasn’t been working for a month or longer. Very annoying as it’s one of the most used option.

I use Miro Desktop app / Microsoft laptop.

Cheers,

Y.

Made an account to comment!

You removed a critical feature to my every day life and sanity as a product manager - this feature transcended Miro and was my note taking and conversational engine. 

I know I don’t have all of the details, but based on my experiences working with my team and the data on this thread I would not have felt confident making the decision to inflict so much pain on people.

I say this in genuine sadness.

Want to solve my problem? I need a way to instantly summon interactable objects (on my cursor) and type into them without clicking around.

• CTRL-N does not work, tab sticky spawns them in non-helpful locations

Please know that the removal of this feature causes me sadness every day, and what hurts more is it feels like the decision was not deeply understood before being undertaken.

Please help