'Double tap to add the last object used' feature is not working anymore

• 12 December 2021
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3

Help me out someone, please!

I’ve been using Miro for half a year now, everything worked smoothly, but 2 days ago I accidentally did something, and NOW the ‘Double tap to add the last object used’ feature is not working.

Now, if I double tap on the board, nothing appears, neither the T for the text, nor squares or stickers.

How can I have that function back?

Please, I hope someone knows.

Thank you <3

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Amina from Russia - Can you tell us about how you are accessing Miro? All we can assume is that you may be using a touchscreen device when you use the word "tap" vs. "click".

What type of device? (Phone, tablet, laptop?)

What operating system?

Are you using a browser - if so, which one?

or are you using a Miro desktop, phone, or tablet app?

For example, I use both the latest stable 64-bit Chrome browser and Miro desktop app on Windows 11 Home 64-bit and a double-click of my mouse on a board creates a new version of whichever object I last created. My I tested this in both Mouse and Trackpad navigation mode. I can’t test what happens when I am Touchscreen mode as my new laptop does not have a touchscreen. Perhaps this action is broken when in touchscreen mode, which would explain your reference of “tapping”.

Userlevel 2

I have had the same problem since friday. I use (and I have always used) Miro in Chrome on my Laptop and I´m not using the desktop app. 

@Amina from Russia Did you find a solution for your problem?

Userlevel 3

@Robert Johnson thank you.

I use MacBook Air; Mac OS Sierra

browser - Google;  I’m using a web version of Miro

I’m using a touchpad on my Mac, not a mouse.

I used to double-click it which would create a new version of whichever object I last created.

But then I did something, I must have accidentally clicked a few random buttons on my keyboard and BLOCKED the option of double-creating objects.

There must be something I can do with my keyboard. But I don’t know what exactly.

Because I’ve checked if double-clicking works from Safari, it doesn’t.

But when we entered my Miro board from another person’s laptop HP, the double-click worked.

Userlevel 3

@Johanna K. unfortunately, I’m still struggling.

I must have blocked this function on my keyboard and don’t know how to unblock it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As per this post:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/double-click-and-sticky-note-appears-5006?postid=28267#post28267

Hi everyone!

We’ve disabled the double-click shortcut (that creates a sticky note, text, or shape depending on what’s been used last) recently for all Miro users as our research showed that most of the users didn’t use or deleted those objects right away after creation.

Userlevel 2

Oh no! I loved that feature! It has recently stopped working for me and this is why I was looking for a way to turn it back on, because the lack of it is slowing my work down considerably. It’s so annoying now. Could you possibly make this optional, maybe turned off by default but definitely allow the people who use it to be able to continue doing so?

Userlevel 2

Thanks for your feedback - i´ll miss the double click option. @Amina from Russia I press the “n” button on my keyboard now to create a new sticky note. That works better for me than drag and drop.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

Userlevel 1

@Helga 

Can u enable this feature for a Tablet at most? at laptop we can use Hotkeys but at Tablet its very tediously

Userlevel 3

@Helga Wow. This thread has been devastating. Double click stopped working and I came here to see if it was a bug. Shocked to see such a big feature removed with no option to turn it back on. 36% of people seems pretty significant to not even have an option. The double click is a lifesaver for my workflow, which just became a lot more tedious. I hope Miro considers an option in the future. Muscle memory is a b*tch. RIP double click.

Userlevel 3

Just jumping into this thread too as a voice for bringing this back as an option. 

I don’t know who you did your research with it - but our whole team is missing the double click function.

It would benice if you gave people a headsup when you’re going to take functionality away. 

Userlevel 3

signed up just to say please provide an option to re-enable the double-click feature as it is used all the time in our workflow and speeds things up considerably for us. embarrassing to have it just go away without notice while trying to illustrate an idea in a meeting. i’ll remember to not update software before meetings…

Userlevel 3

@Agata S I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

so, to those 33% using is, tough luck…got it. so should power users, which will always account for less than 50%, should plan on more features being removed? 

Userlevel 2

I would also echo the colleagues above - taking away this features slow down my work significantly. I tried with using ‘N’ button but the shortcuts don’t work either. No chance for an efficient work on Miro anymore and I’ve been using it on daily basis till now :’(

I also use this feature all of the time and I am really disappointed to see it go. 64% is not a strong number to remove a feature on - especially when it is so easy to double click and create an object. Just because it was not used, does not mean that object was not valuable. I’m frustrated this feature is removed.

Userlevel 1

Sorry to see this feature go :( it should probably be a user setting. 

Userlevel 1

It was definitely the fastest way to create and edit sticky notes for me and I am really disappointed to experience this deprecation.  

The saddest part is that I often use rectangle sticky note, and currently there is no way to create as fast and as easy as before.

I am still missing this feature. Please please please revert this back to being available. This was really valuable.

Userlevel 2

I am really disappointed to experience this deprecation. Please bring the double clicking functionality back.

I create an empty one and remove it immediately often too, but it doesn’t mean I would want double click to create new note option to be removed. It is my most used function on the whole app.

Userlevel 2

@Helga please check if the 64% of cases actually means that those users would want the option to be removed. Majority of the users creating that 64% might actually want to keep the feature as they are the ones actually using it. There is a high risk that you are misreading this data and I hope you recheck it. A simple poll for the users would give more reliable results.

Userlevel 1

I share the same view and id like if they change it back again. I made a topic in the idea section. Maybe you guys want to vote for it.

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Userlevel 1

I think the idea of burning bridges is awful. Is it really necessary to delete the function? This is not to mention the fact that under 64% you count cases, not the percentage of people. But even if we consider this as a percentage of people, then depriving a third of users is not cool.
This "fix" slowed down my work significantly. Every time I have to pause and pull out the damn sticker instead of continuing to write. Just make a switch for it as for other functions. Your program is the most user-friendly among competitors. Please don't take a step back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Joshua Ryan @Kurt Margenau @Kate McRae @KasiaW @Aaron Kurth @Emre Cosar @Takahiro Ito @Jovee @Jesus76 @Artie thank you for providing your feedback – I’m definitely passing it on to our product team. We’re closely monitoring user feedback and feature usage to identify what the next steps for us can be, and I will keep you posted if there are any updates. 

In the meantime, I also want to recommend you a few alternative ways to create sticky notes quickly: 

• Using bulk mode to add multiple sticky notes at once right from the toolbar 

• Adding a sticky note using the board context menu (right mouse button click or single click on a trackpad in the empty space on the board)

• Pressing TAB when finishing writing on a sticky note to create the next one 

• Using CTRL/CMD + D shortcut for adding a new sticky note

Userlevel 2

I signed up here just to second what all the people here wrote. Removing this feature has significantly slowed down my workflows (and for now - as long as I still have this learned behavior - is a great nuisance). The suggested alternatives are nice, but all (except for TAB maybe, but that one doesn’t work as universally) introducing extra steps or complicated combos. Not happy. 

And speaking as a product manager myself - removing a feature that was used in 1/3 of all sessions effectively does not sound smart to me. It’s a significant number. I hope a deeper analysis went into this than just looking at this one metric. At the very least this should be a feature that can be toggled on (and being turned off on default).