Question

Defect - Miro considers a group set that has lines differently than ones that has other shapes

Set of groups that cannot be aligned/distributed because selected one has lines

I wanted to distribute these groups. I can do it with 1st 5 but not when I include the 6th. Only difference is it has lines. Miro seems to consider it to be something different.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@kalmdown - I am able to distribute grouped objects that include connection lines from Chrome and the Miro desktop app:

However, that’s not to say something unexpected isn’t goin on. Before calling it a “defect”, it should be noted there are known limitations/scenarios that could cause “unexpected” behaviour.

For example, while some objects can be obviously be grouped, their behaviour changes once they intersect with other objects, for example:

Source: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730973-Structuring-board-content#h_01ENWK1NPH84FWWP82KDZK8AA0

Not to say that’s what’s going on in your case - it’s just one example.

So, to better understand what object types are in your total group group of 279, can you drop down the filter?

Also, can you tell us more about how you are accessing Miro? E.g., OS, browser, desktop app?

Windows MIRO desktop, and Edge browser exhibit same issue.

Interestingly...I noticed you used the magic arrange tool. That does work. The Align and Distribute tools are not available, though expected to be. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@kalmdown  - Oh my, yes… I had Auto Layout as a mean of aligning objects as I cannot even remember the last time I use the Align objects action 🤦

I suspect the reason the Align objects action disappears as soon two ore more objects are grouped as the tool is intended to align independent objects.

In this GIF, the align action appears as soon as all stickies are ungrouped, and is even available when there is an independent connection line:

I suppose the room for improvement here is for the Structuring board content → Aligning help center article to be updated to note that grouped objects cannot be aligned using this feature.

I will note this with the Community team to confirm this with a the appropriate product team.

I will also note that, if you have a paid Miro subscription, you can open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@kalmdown - Just an update to let you know that I did hear back from the Community team and it has been confirmed that grouped object (which includes objects with an attached connection line) cannot be aligned with the horizontal and vertical alignment tools. The help center will also be updated.

Thanks! I did put in a support ticket through my company account.

I hope they change it because all lines are not connection lines.