Ctrl+L is not working to lock items for me or others on my team

• 24 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

For the past few weeks, I have not been able to use the Ctrl+L shortcut to lock selected items on the board. I do this all the time while running virtual trainings and this is getting in the way of my workflow. I have others on my team using the Miro app and they have the same issue. I am using Edge myself.

I have been able to use Ctrl+Shift+L to lock items, but only when I am in the app-mode of Edge (no search bar), and reportedly this works for my teammates who are using the Miro app. This is better than nothing, but much worse that Ctrl+L!

Is anyone else experiencing or able to replicate? (e.g. can you use Ctrl+L to lock items?)

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jake Wysocki - The shortuct was changed to Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + L:

Source → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017731033-Shortcuts-and-hotkeys

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Robert Johnson - I didn’t re-check the page you linked to before posting, I recall looking it up when the issue first arose and it still said Ctrl+L. Appreciate you responding!

This raises a bigger question then - why not leave it the way it was? This causes 2 issues:

• I lock a lot of things for trainings and want to do it quickly, this is more awkward to do with one hand than simply ctrl+L.
  • More importantly, this does not work in browser! It kicks me out of my window and searches for whatever I had in the clipboard because that is the Edge shortcut for “Paste and search”
    • The only ways I have to mitigate this are to use the Miro app - which I don’t want to use, or make an “app” with Edge to strip away all the other menus and controls and basically give me a view that is only the webpage - not tenable for everyday use, only specific use cases.

I would love a way to mitigate this issue, especially bullet 2 above. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jake Wysocki - I believe the intent on Miro’s end was to start to release some standard browser shortcuts, e.g., Ctrl/Cmd 1, 2, 3 were moved to Alt + 1, 2, 3 and now Ctrl/Cmd + L to free up the standard “send the focus to the address bar” shortcut. I say “stadard” as most browsers use this shortcut (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, at least), but as you have pointed out, Microsoft decided to add an additional shortcut of Ctrl + Shift + L which will paste-and-go if the clipboard content is a URL.

So, unless you can find a way to disable Ctrl + Shift + L in Edge, you’re stuck with the Miro app or another browser.