"Comments" changed in design

• 28 September 2023
  • 11 replies

I am using Miro for a research study. 

Today my template has changed the design of all the comments. The comments now look bigger and circular, now also with a “C” text. The colours have also changed. Unfortunately these now cover the text of some items and disturbs my study design. 

Does anyone know how to revert back to the original comment design?

11 replies

Userlevel 2

Thank you for the feedback on this new experimental feature. We are currently evaluating feedback of this redesign. 

At the moment, you are able to toggle off Comments 2.0 within the comment thread three dot (...) menu. 

Let us know if you need additional help! 

Thank you very much for your reply. This has fixed the issue for me.

It would have been great if I had been able to find out this possibility immediately, to be able to switch it back, as I have already had to use the template. This is was stressful. Perhaps experimental features should not be switched on as default, and there should be more communication about it - perhaps an alert on the miro board itself? I did search for the new comment design on the website and I did not find it mentioned, but I see it is there now (maybe I missed it).

Many thanks

How can I update to Comments 2.0 version? My friend has updated version to comments 2.0 but my account is still the old version:(

How can I update to Comments 2.0 version? My friend has updated version to comments 2.0 but my account is still the old version:(

I just noticed this comment which was posted 27d ago so maybe it’s already resolved, but the answer (for my user interface/experience at least) is:

Had the automatic update to Comments 2.0 last week and it severely impacted the way we use the coloured comments function in our company.
We collaborate on store plans with many other functions in the business and use the coloured comments to indicate an action, ie: yellow = to be done, green = actioned, blue = question for another function, etc. When we look at many plans on a board in a zoomed out view, you get a clear overview of where your priorities are.

With the new update, in a zoomed out view all you can see are the ‘grouped’ comments, ie: a dot with the number 10 in it. Then you have to zoom right in to see where those comments are and what colour they show. Absolutely rubbish!

Through this thread, at least I now have found out you can toggle Comments 2.0 off. I understand that not everyone uses the old comments feature exactly like we do and that the new feature could be beneficial for other uses.
Perhaps this should remain a CHOSEN feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jeremy De Rouw 

Through this thread, at least I now have found out you can toggle Comments 2.0 off. I understand that not everyone uses the old comments feature exactly like we do and that the new feature could be beneficial for other uses.
Perhaps this should remain a CHOSEN feature?

I have mixed feelings about Comments 2.0 so far, e.g., while I like the avatars that show up on the comments, and sometimes like the grouping of comments, I also miss seeing them at a macro level, and by colour as you have pointed out. I am hopefully that, given Miro’s slow rollout of this feature, Miro really taking the time to listen and learn from the feedback.

While the product teams do monitor this forum, if you haven’t already, I would suggest that you leave your feedback via the Comments panel too:

And, for everyone reading this post, the toggle to disable Comments 2.0 has been renamed slightly:

Had the automatic update to Comments 2.0 last week and it severely impacted the way we use the coloured comments function in our company.
We collaborate on store plans with many other functions in the business and use the coloured comments to indicate an action, ie: yellow = to be done, green = actioned, blue = question for another function, etc. When we look at many plans on a board in a zoomed out view, you get a clear overview of where your priorities are.

With the new update, in a zoomed out view all you can see are the ‘grouped’ comments, ie: a dot with the number 10 in it. Then you have to zoom right in to see where those comments are and what colour they show. Absolutely rubbish!

We use color coded comments in a similar way. The new grouping destroys our workflow. And Thursday, the control to keep the old functionality was removed. I have submitted a support case to Miro asking them to revert the change.

Yes, I was pretty annoyed this week when I saw that too. I’ll submit one too.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to convince Miro about the importance of introducing a toggle to get rid of the counters and just show the original comment icons. We have written back and forth, but I did not manage to get past 1st line support.

Their reply: “I escalated your input to our Product Teams and received confirmation that this change was implemented after extensive testing and they have deprecated the ability to revert back to the old comments feature. The goal of this update was to address overwhelming feedback from our users to visually clean up the board so comments didn't block too much of the content.”

I believe Miro made one mistake, and then they made another trying to fix the first one.

First, they changed the comments ikons to larger round “things” with images in them. As the OP mentions, they are too large and block board content. Second, instead of going back to what worked well, they introduced the counters. So here we are.

I can easily see that some users out there may be happy to get the counters. But I think that it is a really poor move by Miro to make such a breaking change without introducing a toggle to decide between the two behaviors. We even know that they have the code for this toggle in place.

@julia_rudge I really urge you to reconsider this.

I too contacted Miro support conveying dislike of the “counters” and expressed the desire for a toggle.  My team and I were using color coded comments in a similar way to what was expressed in prior threads here.  We find the recently added “counters” to be too large, that they block board content, and are an unwanted hindrance to the way we prefer to use MIRO. 

Would be much more useful if the settings could be toggled to enable a view that displays both. 
All the COMMENTS

and the COUNTER tally...like this:

instead of a view like this: