Age limit for student accounts?

• 23 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I am trying to get my school’s tech team to approve Miro for a pilot in my classroom. They went through the terms of service and found the following discrepancy: 

12. Age Restriction

Miro does not knowingly collect any kind of information from persons under the age of thirteen (13). By using our Services and/or browsing the Site, you hereby represent and warrant that (i) you are at least thirteen (13) years of age — or older — as of the date of first access to the Site; and, (ii) if you are a minor (which may differ depending on the jurisdiction where you reside), you are accessing the Site under the direct supervision of your parent or legal guardian

2.8 Age Requirement for Users

The Service is not intended for, and may not be used by, anyone under the age of 16. Customer is responsible for ensuring that all Users are at least 16 years old.

What is the actual restriction? I have high school students age 13 and up, but my tech team won’t approve the use of Miro without getting a firm answer. 

Mahalo,

Brandon

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Brandon Carlisle,

Thank you for asking such an important question!

Unfortunately, the users under the age of 16 may not use the services as this is the threshold for obtaining parental consent before processing a user's personal data. The age range of 13-16 reflects the user's rep for compliance with COPPA and the opt-in requirements of CCPA.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Does this apply to guest users as well? Or only if they create an account? In the sign-up process does it ask if they are 16 first?