Getting started and getting independent

• 5 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I got introduced to Miro by a client of mine several months ago. I only used it a little back then, but really liked what I experienced.

Now another client is asking me to use it with them. I’d be happy to, so I’m trying to learn it better.

I just got into my account again for the first time I many months, and I’m trying to get a “lay of the land.” It looks like I have a project in existence called “SagePresence” (which is the name of my company). And when I click on the name of the project (in the upper left corner), it says the owner of that project is the client I worked with several months ago.

Does this mean my account is inextricably linked to this client? Or is just this project linked to them? IF the latter, can I just create a new project, and I will own it?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me to get me started and independent.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Pete Machalek -

Projects are just a container used to control board access. The Miro team associated with your account can have multiple projects. That one just happens to be owned by the user account of your client. You can definitely create a separate project with boards which you will share with your new client and the previous client won’t be able to access those new boards and project so long as you set up the access control correctly.

As a consultant, you might find that the Miro consultant plan is the most convenient plan to use as that allows you to set up multiple teams which provide the strongest segregation of access when dealing with multiple clients.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Pete Machalek - Welcome back to Miro!

I have to keep this brief, which is a challenge for me given my history of long-winded answers, but my wife and I are expecting our first child (due date was two days ago) and she is just starting to show early signs of labour, so we’ll be heading out to run a few last-minute errands shortly (and if I get pulled over for speeding, I will upgrade her status to full-on labour!).

After reading your post, I need more information, e.g., when you mentioned “upper left corner”), that could mean team, board, or project, and when you mentioned that the owner’s name is that of your client, then you are either in their team or them yours - again, so many questions.

Let’s start from the top and work our way down...

Account Profile

• We all have a Miro account profile - uniquely identified by our email address (really it’s a key in a database because you can change your email address, but you get the point).
  • Every Miro account profile needs to be attached to at least one Miro plan: Free, Education, Team, Consultant, Business, or Enterprise (more on plans here).
  • Throughout the Miro platform you will see account profiles referred to as members or users - they are the same.

Team/Subscription

• “Teams” are spaces that members are added to.
  • A Miro account profile can be a member of an unlimited number of teams.
  • if you are on a paid plan, these are often referred to as subscriptions.
  • You add/invite members/users to a team.
  • If  you have a paid subscription, you purchase “paid seats” for members to consume.

Projects

• Think of Projects as folders.
  • You can put boards in folders for the purpose of organization, but they can also be used as a way to apply and manage team member permissions.
  • Only team members can be added to boards (guests or visitors cannot).
  • Project permissions can override board permissions. For example,
    • you created a board and don’t want any other team members to see it (this is called private mode),
    • so you set the board’s Share settings so that “team access” = “No access”
    • Then you decide you need to share this board with a select set of team members for “Project X”,
    • so you create a folder called “Project X”
    • add your private board to the project
    • add your select set of members to the project and give them edit access in the process.
    • Now they can edit this--and any other boards you put into the project, regarding of the board’s sharing settings.
  • More on Projects here.

Boards

• Finally, here’s what Miro is all about.
  • The person who created a Miro board is now has the role of “Owner” for that board.
  • Boards reside/are linked to a team/subscription.
  • Boards can be added to projects.
  • You can share a board with a non-team member, registered Miro account profile user - depending on your team plan subscription type, whether you can add them as a viewer/commenter or as an editor is a bigger topic, and has recently changed a bit with the addition of the Visitors role.
  • Only the board owner can delete the board.
  • Boards ownership can be transferred.
  • Only the board owner can complete certain actions on a board (start voting sessions, change the share permissions, etc.), so Miro created the board Co-owner role.
  • Side note: Miro is even opening up the Co-owner role for projects.

Here it all is together in my Miro dashboard:

Now back to your questions

It looks like I have a project in existence called “SagePresence” (which is the name of my company). And when I click on the name of the project (in the upper left corner), it says the owner of that project is the client I worked with several months ago.

Does this mean my account is inextricably linked to this client? Or is just this project linked to them? IF the latter, can I just create a new project, and I will own it?

After reading my reply, can you elaborate? (I have to go to the midwife now, but I’ll be back!)