Skip to main content

Hello everyone! I’m working on a new app for Miro called Formulas and I’d love to get feedback from the community here.

The Formulas app brings your Miro board to life by enabling board items to dynamically change their values and colors based on the other items in your board.  

Check out the video below for the full pitch, but here are some examples of what the plugin can do:

• Run calculations like Sum or Average against the items in your board
  • Create a sticky that changes its background color to red automatically if it has a negative number
  • Make a text block that combines the text of all items inside of a frame.
  • Keep the value of a sticky in sync with another sticky or text block on the board.
  • Count the number of dots in frames as a custom voting exercise

I’m nearly happy with the basic functionality of the app currently, but I don’t have a clear idea of real-world use cases, so please tell me what you think. Do you think this app is just a fun gimmick or would it help with something you do every day in Miro? Let me know!

I’m almost done with the finishing touches, and then I’ll share private beta links with anyone in the community that would like to try and share feedback / feature ideas.

Thanks!

- Vedran

Thanks for sharing this with the community, @Vedran! Good luck on this project! 

I’d like to try! 

This is great - I can see a lot of use cases for it, for visually adding “gaming” to the boards

One particular use case is very interesting to me: 

I have created templates for workshop exercises, where I for a workshop, will combine multiple exercises and then make minor updates to the exercise components to prepare them for the workshop. One big effort every time, is to update the work areas with the names of all the participants: typically 6 to 15 participants. 

With this add-in, I could see where I would pre configure these participant text fields, with the value of some participant name sticky notes. I now just have to update the participants names and initials in one place, and for all my exercises, the names are automatically updated.

Would be very interested to try it out.

I am certainly interested in trying out this innovative plugin. Most other note-taking apps do not have capabilities like the one you present. 

Hey I would love to try it on my boards!

@Vedran this looks amazing. I’m new to Miro and was hoping to use it for PI planning. However Miro doesn’t have any capability to do simple calculations to allow me to calculate load and match that against capacity. I think what you have would fit the bill. How do I get it? Would love to try it out. Thanks.

The calculations sound particularly useful. 

Has anybody had any luck getting this app? Looks exactly what I’m looking for but can’t get a response from the author. Was really hoping to have this for my next PI planning session next month.

Sorry for the delay for my response! The plugin is still a WIP. I’ll share more details here when it’s ready.

I have been trying to convert long processes into Value Streams.  This functionality will allow me to attach and measure durations and waste within processes.

This is neat! I would love a more efficient way of counting the dot votes per sticky or theme other than manually counting. Especially if it wasn’t asked previously to put the dots in a single place.