My experience of developing a Miro app

• 9 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have just finished a plugin for Miro that allows a user to “syncronise” widget content. Change one widget in a sync group and the change is propagated across all widgets in that group. The app is called CarbonCopy and we hope to see it on the Marketplace soon. Here’s a loom for you to get a preview.

Here’s a summary of our encountered challenges.

identified workarounds and challenges in Miro

1. Missing widget update capabilities when widget changes: https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-forum-57/identify-changes-in-miro-widget-2845
  2. Image meta-data updates aren’t working, which means we were unable to implement image widgets: https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-forum-57/image-widget-doesn-t-allow-metadata-update-2894
  3. Buttons in the WidgetContextMenu iframe implementation cause slightly laggy widget performance when the widget has a plugin button in the widget’s extension menu.
  4. Setting the button position in the WidgetContextMenu is based on setting a numerical priority which moves the button into a position. When defining the text on a Shape widget, it is not possible to specify the button priority.

Feedback is welcomed, we do plan to develop this further.

// cc @Natalie Nedre  

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that a Card’s Title view doesn’t update after syncing when the board is zoomed out. This appears to be a caching issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Markus Smet 

This looks awsome!

Great addition - it would be nice if it has an automatic function like excel for instance if you put days of a week in a sticky it automaticly builds

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is very cool @Markus Smet ! I do like @mlanders suggestion of having simple rules which can be applied to modify the default copy behavior. For example, if you could support simple mathematical operations, then you could have a copy incremented or decreased by a fixed amount. Not quite a spreadsheet, but it would start us down that road :grin: !

Kiron

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks for your reply @mlanders - so you imagine having a trigger inside a Sticky widget and the plugin auto-generates the week days across 7 Sticky notes?

@Kiron Bondale I am not sure I fully understand the use case. Would you mind expanding a little for me, as well as outlining the benefits to your workflow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Markus Smet -

it is essentially building on @mlanders idea by allowing simple transformations to a copy. For example, if I have a number in the original, allow me to increment or decrement that number by a fixed factor. 

Kiron

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Kiron Bondale that’s nice. Will add these ideas to my backlog. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for your reply @mlanders - so you imagine having a trigger inside a Sticky widget and the plugin auto-generates the week days across 7 Sticky notes?

@Markus Smet: Yes, exactly - but if it takes month or other things that would be great, too. So I ‘m going into the same direction as @Kiron Bondale did.

Michael

@Markus Smet Great app idea. Any updates on its availability?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Ryan Wagner the app was just released. You can find it here: https://miro.com/marketplace/carbon-copy/

@Markus Smet Got it, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Markus Smet 

Brilliant!  Great work. 
Can’t wait to try it out.

I was excited to see this… as we almost made this a default behavior for created-widgets when we built Clusterizer… but, alas, we were talked out of it… yet I kept wanting to experiment with it. 

Congratulations on publishing to the marketplace!