Working with layers

Userlevel 3

Do you have any plans of introducing layers? I have a huge Architecture Drawing where I want to create layers so different people can contribute to add content in different layers.

Best Regards,

André Hansson

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@André Hansson - The subject of layers has been brought up a number of times in this forum. Unfortunately, Miro does not usually advertise what's in their backlog or currently in development.

As for your question, probably the only indication of what be coming in the future will be found by looking at popular ideas posted in the Wish List category.

When I search the forum for "layers" and filter on "Ideas" there are a number of results. I would suggest adding your comments/upvote to any that are of interest. You are also welcome to post your own ideas.

Here are the search results for Layers ideas:

https://community.miro.com/search?q=layers&content_type%5B0%5D=ideation

​​

Userlevel 1

Do you have any plans of introducing layers? I have a huge Architecture Drawing where I want to create layers so different people can contribute to add content in different layers.

Good feature!

And please, add security by layer, for example, when you are drawing an AWS Architecture, could be interesting to have a layer with the estimated cost of the elements while not all the users are allowed to view.

Or at least, make it easy to show/hidden when exporting a miro board.

Thanks in advance

Another use case is for presentation where layers could be used to make items appear above existing slide.

Userlevel 1

The only way Miro is going to implement layers is when we all move to Lucid Charts.  They are very aware that Layers or the ability to turn off/on some kind of visual element is the #1 most requested feature. For YEARS at this point. 

Why don’t they care? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only way Miro is going to implement layers is when we all move to Lucid Charts.  They are very aware that Layers or the ability to turn off/on some kind of visual element is the #1 most requested feature. For YEARS at this point. 

Why don’t they care? 

@Nick Poulos - Layers is #5, not #1.

Idea (upvotes)

1. Dark Mode / Night Mode (1081)
  2. Offline mode (932)
  3. Collapsible branches on the mind maps (780)
  4. Folders (directories) in projects (655)
  5. Layers (463)
Userlevel 1

I am about to leave Miro b/c it doesn’t have layers. Just saying.

I tried REALLY Hard to stay on. 🤣

A community that thinks night mode is more important than layers has something wrong in their head 

I am about to leave Miro b/c it doesn’t have layers. Just saying.

I tried REALLY Hard to stay on. 🤣

A community that thinks night mode is more important than layers has something wrong in their head 

Or, you know, have vision impairments where the non-Dark Mode causes headaches, etc. :)

@Robert Johnson 

The question is not what is the most popular idea to be implemented, to give a real world perspective, a certain orange blob was at one point in time the most popular vote for President of the US… however, most sane people would assume he should have not been implemented… right?

That said I assume that having the top 5 ideas that users are requesting already listed pretty much gives MIRO a backlog that they could say “well, let’s deliver that...” and give your clients the value they are requesting so desperately.

So, since I have to use MIRO with an Enterprise license paid by corporation, I don’t care, but in all honesty MIRO won’t be my choice if I need to recommend it to anyone. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Best Regards,

André Hansson

Hi. Have a look at our Layer-plugin for Miro. For a specific purpose. Free to test 30 days. https://www.milkyway.international/milky-way-tool

Userlevel 1

Oh don’t worry too late! We just got e-mails from up top.  We are migrating to Lucid Spark and closing our Miro Enterprise.  

But I will be on the lookout for that Dark mode!

Does anyone know if 

released or will release their addin for layering?

I just did same requests to MIRO support, and they mentioned to add it here the topic. Like to the topic is already raised, I just add a comment for pushing this topic :)

Is it already planned this feature?

Badge +1

has anybody found a good alternative to this problem on another platform? Seems like Figma and Lucidchart has it but it is not a whiteboard format. Figma is laid out in pages, and they have Figjam which is an unlimited whiteboard but doesn’t have layers. Same thing with Lucid chart and lucid spark.

has anybody found an unlimited whiteboard with layers?