Answered

When sharing a board outside the team via link, why is the Password prefilled with the user's own Miro password?

• 17 May 2021
  • 5 replies

When I click to share my Miro board and I choose to set a Password, the Password field is pre-filled with my own Miro login password - which I would never share with anyone.

Why is this field pre-filled with anything other than a randomly-generated password?

Thank you!

P.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 17 May 2021, 19:58

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paula VanDeventer - You’re welcome!

I agree. Perhaps Miro will consider disabling the autocomplete of this password filed. I will find the Changelog Feedback post where they first announced this and suggest this to them.

If anyone is curious about disabling autocomplete on forms, check this out:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Securing_your_site/Turning_off_form_autocompletion#the_autocomplete_attribute_and_login_fields

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your testing recommendations.  Indeed the password field when sharing a board does prefill based on saved passwords in the browser.  If I delete my saved Miro login credentials and then login and navigate to share a board, the password field is empty rather than prefilled.

I guess this is a design issue - I would expect a blank field or a generated password feature rather than a prefilled password from my own saved password.

My coworker drilled down to the HTML and noted that the field is coded as a password input field, and therefore the browser is trying to be helpful by pre-filling it.  Ideally this would not autofill with known/existing passwords.

Knowing what is happening, we can alert our team to this behavior so we can clear any saved passwords and create a one-off password when sharing a board.

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

While you wait for an answer, I would also suggest that you try disabling any of your password software and try again - this could be a browser extension or, for example if using Chrome, this could be the Chrome/Google password manager feature. Your organization could have also deployed an enterprise-wide password manager utility or browser extension.

A quick test would be to open a private/incognito browser window, sign into Miro, and open a board’s Share settings, and then public access and see if the password field populates (incognito usually disables all browser extensions).

I am 99.999% certain that Miro would not be populating this field. Even if I set a password and come back, there is only an option to edit or remove the password - and when I edit, it doesn’t populate my current password. My personal password manager’s browser extension does see this field as a password field and would auto-populate it, if I hadn’t previously disabled that feature.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for replying to my question.  We went live with the Enterprise version of Miro about 3 weeks ago, so we are still learning about the Admin functionality.

We are using the standard in-app user management.  We have not enabled SSO/SAML or SCIM.

The documentation about sharing boards with guest editors located here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-anonymous-Guest-Editors?utm_source=miro&utm_campaign=guest_editors&utm_medium=checkbox

...says:

We are currently beta testing in this area of the product. If you encounter any troubles or would like to provide feedback on your experience, please contact feedback@miro.com 

I will try emailing the feedback address to ask my question.

Thank you!

Paula

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paula VanDeventer - Without knowing anything about your setup, my initial thoughts are that this your password manager’s software doing this - it sees a “password” field for the “miro.com” domain and then fills in your miro.com password.