[INVESTIGATING] Mind map nodes being moved even though Auto Layout is disabled

• 28 March 2024
  • 9 replies

If i grab an object and move it to another position, as soon as I let go of the mouse it goes back to its original position. Control, Shift, Option - all the same result. Very frustrating. Sometimes it will actually shift an entire line of boxes in a different direction.

Is there a fix for this? This is my first user experience and it sucks. I know the difference between pan and select. I use Vectorworks all the time. This is beyond ridiculous. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PWHack 

If i grab an object and move it to another position, as soon as I let go of the mouse it goes back to its original position.

Indeed, this would be frustrating.

For starters, I will say that, if you are trying to move objects into an diagramming shape, e.g., from the AWS shape pack, there is a known issue at the moment - here is a demo:

If this looks to be close to your scenario, I would suggest that you leave a reply on this the following post to be updated on the issue:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/investigating-arrows-within-a-miro-container-15970

However, if this is not representative of your scenario, then more context is required.

For example:

• How are you accessing Miro?
    • What OS?
    • Are you using a browser? If so, which one? Have you tried another browser? Have you tried clearing your cache?
    • Have you tried disabling all browser extensions?
    • Or are you using the Miro desktop app? If, so have you tired resetting the app data?
    • If you are not using the desktop app, does the issue occur when using it?
  • What objects type(s) are you trying to move, and to where, e.g., on top of another object?
  • Does this happen on every board?
  • Does this happen with every object?
  • If you duplicate the board, does this happen on the duplicated board?
  • If there are other members on your team space, does this happen for them?

Any screenshots you can share may help. Or, even better, a screen recording – Loom is free and quite easy to use and share a screen recording.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the response. I’m using it on a Mac running Mojave. Both Chrome and Safari yield the same results. I have not tried disabling all my browser extensions. I was able to create the board, so it would be odd if just one Miro command was conflicting with browser extensions. I’ve only got this one board. I am just trying to make a simple ORG chart using one of the Miro templates. Here’s a screen recording of what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PWHack - Thanks for the additional context, and the video - this helps!

The mind map node objects are snapping as Auto layout is enabled:

Here’s the setting:

Hi Robert,

I thought there might be something like that at play, but I do not get the menu option you show in your video when I select the object. See attached.

And thank you for helping me out with this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PWHack - You’re welcome!

You need to select the root node.

Hi Robert,

Even after unchecking AUTO, I cannot move things independently. See the video. Very weird.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmmm. Yes, there does appear to be some auto-shifting of other nearby elements, presumably to avoid any nodes from being hidden behind the others.

Hi Robert,

Simply trying to move the leftmost node closer to the center shouldn’t have any effect on this, no? Nothing is being impinged on by tightening that up. I’m gonna say this is a bug. How do you report such a thing?

I’ve also tried it on another machine (a PC) and the results are the same. This basically renders the program useless for me, sadly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PWHack – You can create open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:
https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

It would be helpful for the Community if you could let us know what the outcome is. In the ticket, you could likely just give a real quick summary of the issue, but include a link to this post where we already have a history of troubleshooting steps, your setup, videos, etc.

I will update the title of this post to indicate that they issue is being investigated. Thanks in advance!