Skip to main content

Transferring from an Education Plan to a regular paid plan?

I’m currently on an education plan under my university email, but what happens if I retire or leave my university? I’d like to be able to keep my account but transition to a regular paid plan. What is the process for doing that? I have a slight fear that I will somehow lose all of my data. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stanford Educational - While Miro will not delete your account or content, depending on your specific scenario, you could lose access to it by way of losing access to the email address that you currently use to access Miro.

First, however, let’s confirm that you have the educator version of the Education Plan by looking at your Team profile settings page:

From here:

Do you see this:

Next, on the Team users page, your email should the the sole Team admin:

I’ll stop here and wait for you to confirm the above before laying out options for retaining your content.

Userlevel 1

Yes I can confirm all of that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stanford Educational - Thanks for confirming. Okay, here are a few scenarios on how you could move your Education Plan to a paid (or free) plan.

The first thing you would want to ensure is done, is that you remove all users from your team space, as when it comes time to purchase a plan for your team space, you will need a license for each team member.

In order to move away from your Education Plan to a paid (or free) subscription, and since your Educator’s version of the Education Plan does not expire, ultimately we will need to get the support team involved, a step that either myself or the @Miro Community Team could do for you when the time comes.

We’ll refer to this step as: Downgrade to Free Plan.

NOTE: If at any point to you want to ensure you have backups of your data/boards, you can always download board backup files (.rtb files), which can later be restored to any paid subscription.

One you are on a Free Plan, you can either stay there or upgrade to the Starter or Business Plan.

If you don’t want to change your email address, there is nothing else to do.

However, if you want to change your email address, read on.

Here are just a few scenarios and what actions you should take:

1) You want to use a personal email address that has never been used with Miro

• Change your current account profile’s email address by following the How to change your email address instructions.
  • You stay on the Free Plan or upgrade to a paid plan.

2) You want use a personal email address that is already associated with a Miro account

For example, you used it a while back to create a free Miro account.

• Add that email address as a member of your now downgraded Free Plan team.
  • Promote that new user to an admin
  • While signed in using your personal email, you could now remove your work email address/user
    • Or, while signed in as your university email, you could leave the team (all of your content will be assigned to your other, i.e., personal email/team member).
  • You stay on the Free Plan or upgrade to a paid plan.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much! Apologies, but I have a few follow-up questions:

1. Does Miro have to get involved ONLY if I want to switch to a free plan? It sounds like if I make a backup, I can restore it to any paid subscription account.
  2. I have many more boards than the Miro free plan allows, so what would happen to all my boards if it converted to a free plan?
  3. You mentioned that on the paid subscription I’ll need a license for each team member--are those licenses linked to specific people, or can I have many different people use the same license if they use it one at a time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

1. Does Miro have to get involved ONLY if I want to switch to a free plan? It sounds like if I make a backup, I can restore it to any paid subscription account.

Miro will only need to get involved if you want to make a change to your existing Education Plan space.

You can create a new, paid team space by using the Add teams action from your dashboard:

However, this will happen under your existing, i.e., university email address. However, a benefit of your current account profile/email address being a member of both team spaces if that you can just use the “→ Move to team” action to move your boards to your new paid space. More on this in the How to move a board article.

1. I have many more boards than the Miro free plan allows, so what would happen to all my boards if it converted to a free plan?

All but that three most recently created boards will be VIEW-ONLY – you will not be able to edit them. And, any boards that were private, i.e., hidden from the rest of the team while you had the Education Plan will need to be unlocked – details about this can be found in the first set of bullet points in the Downgrading your plan article.

1. You mentioned that on the paid subscription I’ll need a license for each team member--are those licenses linked to specific people, or can I have many different people use the same license if they use it one at a time?

Licenses are consumed by as many users as you have in the team. For example, you buy three licenses but you are the only person in the team, then you have two available spots for other people to join the team. If all three licences are being consumed and you wanted a fourth person to join your team, then you would either remove one person or purchase a fourth license.

Userlevel 1

Okay, so it seems like I have a lot of options. All I care about is having access to my boards under my non-educational email (once I won’t have access to the educational one), and I will definitely need a paid plan. So is the easiest option for me to do the “move to team” thing you suggested above? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stanford Educational - The Move to team action can only be executed by the board owner, i.e., your university email. So, if you set up another Miro account with your personal account, you would have to add your university email as a team member. Then, while signed in to Miro as your university email, you would move the boards to that team. If you don’t want to pay for a license for your university email, then:

1. create a new Free Miro account with your personal email
  2. add your university email as a team member
  3. while signed in as your university email, move boards to the new free plan team space
  4. remove your university email as a free plan team member
  5. upgrade free plan to paid.

Tip: Use another browser during the process to avoid signing out/in between university and personal email.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Stanford Educational 

Wow, @Robert Johnson really knows his stuff.

Because you originally wrote “if I retire” and I am also an educator, I can share with you what I do: each time I create a board and am happy with it, I export it and save it as an RTB file on my local computer. It gives me a little peace-of-mind that if something goes really wrong and the board gets screwed up or deleted, I at least have a hard-copy that I can restore. Although truth be told, I have NEVER had to restore a board this way in all the time I’ve been using Miro. 😀

And if you are really paranoid there is a third-party service which backs up all your boards . . . I used it for a while, I thought it worked well, but then I cancelled because with Miro’s general good stability and my own backups, I didn’t “feel the need.”

So . . . just a couple of extra options for you . . . 

Good luck!  Ken

Userlevel 1

Thank you! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks @Kenneth Ritley for the tips! Appreciate the insights.