Show me where the 'hot spots' are based on user actions

• 13 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

When facilitating group sessions, it is often useful to see where there are areas of concentrated activity.

Activity could be moving something or it could be adding something. You might decided that people hovering in that area could be activity too (maybe they are too scared to move something but they are thinking about it)

In person, this is pretty easy to see and keep track of. Online it is much harder (in my experience anyway)

The Wish:

It would be great if you could allow me to trigger an overlay of where the hotspots are and allow me to reset it periodically. I can then change how I am facilitating based on that information in realtime.

For example:

In some types of workshop e.g. event storming, we often have hotspots of activity. This indicates to the facilitators that something ‘interesting’ happening. We might take that area to one side to explore more for example. Or maybe we are organising stickies on a matrix and the same sticky is being moved up and down by different people, indicating there is some disagreement which we might want to explore.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@RichardA -

Do the location of collaborator cursors and their relative activity not show this as I’ve used that in workshops with different breakout groups to monitor their progress or to see if one group seems to be stalled?

Kiron

They do but I have found it difficult to observe and remember which areas are busy. There can be multiple areas for example so you might see one but miss another.

For overall activity (“Are they finished yet?”), like you described that is enough. The use case I described I think is different as I want to know more a visual history of patterns so I can decide what to do next with those specific areas from a facilitation stand point.

Make sense? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@RichardA -

Other than recording the session for review at a later point in time, I can’t think of a workaround which would support this use case. 

Sorry!

Kiron