Sharing with clients who are already paying Miro users - Or do you have to pay again for them?

• 20 May 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

There must be a way to invite an already paying user to a board on a consultancy plan?

I only have the option to expand the team on new consultancy licenses or day passes.

But my guests already have paid accounts!

Miro is the most awesome collaboration tool ever. I just did a 1000+ people Big Room Planning based on it (and is giving a speech about that in a week.) 

But this must be a flaw in the price plan - to not be able to invite already paying customers?

Or am I missing some way this can be done?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Fundamentally, Miro is built as a workspace platform for persistent teams. Like how we share documents with our team members in shared drives. There's a level of security and privacy that is needed in team environments.

Also, it's an enterprise business model that makes better sense. You can onboard new users in multiples and across entire organisations rather than one-offs (like in a Consultant plan and which I have.)

And that's my opinion although I hope it makes sense.

Will you be sharing your experience with the Big Room Planning here? I would so look forward to reading it, Mats!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, Microsoft Teams is built around persistent teams as well, and I can invite anyone in the world who has an account… And that goes for a number of services: work “premiumly” with the ones who are paying for the premium functionality.

I think Miro would benefit from restructuring this thinking.

People don’t mind paying for Miros awesome functionality, but many are hesitant to pay for being part of each team. 

PS: @Isman Tanuri I will giving the lightning speech at agilasverige.se, but in Swedish this time. You can read some of it here in English though: LinkedIn post

I’m looking into the paid plans, Consultant looks the best bet.  One of our clients is also looking at Miro, probably a Team or Business plan.  If we both had those paid plans would we be able to share boards without paying extra.  E.g. they could create a board and invite one of our users and vice versa.  I’ve seen the answer about sharing boards via export, thinking here about keeping the board where it is and having a team that includes people from both organisations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter Stansbury -

You can certainly add folks from other accounts to one of your teams, however, this will count as a paid user against your account (even though they are paying for that user already in their account).

Kiron

Thanks @Kiron Bondale, such a pity, I can see this getting out of hand quickly.  On one project there are 2 other orgs.  We have 5 on the project, org 2 has 5 on the project and Org 3 has 15 on the project.  So if we share everything (we’d each be looking to use Miro independently for other projects too) the overall spend with Miro would be 75 licences.  Great for them, I think we’ll stick with free plan and keep evaluating alternatives.

Userlevel 1

I totally agree, it seems to be a flaw in the pricing plan, and I do not see the logic in why I have to pay for a paid user to join my team.  Makes it hard for consultants like me to work with Miro across multiple clients.

Badge

As a consultant I also have this problem. I work with other consultant to design and deliver workshops. The other consultants also have a paid Miro plan. It seems a little strange that one of us would have to pay twice to be able to collaborate.

I don’t think Miro is being greedy, I just don’t think the concept of a consultant and how a consultant works fits into their original model of an account. For me the work around is to make the board public protected by password. There are some features that don’t work in this mode, but it’s just about doable.

I was shocked today to find out that Miro is charging two companies when a single person in using Miro in two teams. This makes no moral sense, and no long term business sense. It seems like one of those short term business decisions which the sales manager loves, and looks good in excel sheet, but in reality if you (use designers or user researchers and) dive into the users feelings find out that it limits the value, use of and spreading the tool. In the experience economy I believe we call it “Bad profit”.  It makes people think twice before using it for cross company collaboration, it makes people limit access to as few as possible participants to limit costs, and for those who bought it, immediately terminate the licenses after the project is over. This practice is actually worse than the gyms charging for months you don’t go training :-).

You can share the board with anyone for free, without them needing to become members of your team. And on the paid plan, you can set the link you share with them to vary access, from view only through to editing and commenting.

Be sure to use the ‘copy board link’, and first set the ‘anyone with the link’ with the access permissions you wish to give.